Is browsing shared library different on ATV4 compared to 3? W/ bonus dolby digital question!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by NameUndecided, Dec 5, 2015.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I figured posting two relatively simple questions in one thread might be better than posting the two separately…

1. Can anyone say if browsing your home library -- like your movies that you have in iTunes on your computer -- through the ATV4 is much any different than the way it's formatted on ATV3?
    I have a 3 right now and am happy enough with it, but I really really wish it could have a tiled cover view rather than just the one list view option. I have lots of movies formatted for my iTunes movie section that I store on my computer. I'd love to view the library on TV in tile view, same as I can in iTunes on my Mac. Does the 4 look any different or have additional options?

2. On my ATV3, just now discovered that Dolby Digital is turned off in the settings menu. I turned it to "on" (rather than off or auto) and started playing Inside Out from the iTunes store and my ears aren't trained and I also can't turn it up too loud at this moment. But I'm wondering -- with my pretty-decent and newish-model Samsung sound bar that is Dolby Digital capable -- have I been missing out on anything all this time? I'll be able to test and experiment more later, but I'm just so surprised Dolby has been OFF, and as a non-audiophile, I wonder to what if any degree that really matters?

Thank you so much to anyone who can shed some light on either of these wildly disparate questions.

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Can't answer the second question as I'm not very knowledgeable about audio either, but as for the first question, the 4th gen apple tv's home sharing UI is pretty much identical to the 3rd gen's. The only difference is that the 4th gen has the white background rather than the black of the 3rd gen.

3. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blerrrg. Thank you for that. That's pretty much what I expected but was really holding out hope for more in an improved UI.

I did just see the thread "Infuse for Apple TV Released" just after I posted here, and that looks pretty nice. Rather close to what I was imagining. It's preferable to not need any other apps like Plex and similar, but I guess one of the big draws (even as I tell myself that I don't care much about apps) is that there is finally room for these alternatives for the nitpicky peeps such as me.

sigh.

But seriously, Apple. Being confined to a list view on your TV for our media libraries is just crazy town.