Is buying a new powerbook worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chriscorcoran, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. chriscorcoran macrumors newbie

    Jan 23, 2004

    I need a laptop before I go out to a computer camp in Calinforina on June 26th. I really really want a Mac, a power book preferiably, but is it worth it? I mean should I buy one now with the whole CPU switch?

    Please help a confused and torn consumer.

  2. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I was planning on buying a new PB for literally years - my old 1999 PB has been a bit long in the tooth for some time. I kept waiting and waiting - I figured that the current offerings were never powerful enough and that something better was just around the corner.

    Finally, I bought a 12" PB under the assumption that I'd sell it when a good-enough 17" (meaning higher-res) came out.

    Now, I find myself attached to the 12". Had I known I'd love this generation of PBs so much, I'd've gotten a 15" or 17" - although the portability of the 12" can't be beat.

    Basically, the PBs as they are now are plenty powerful and very well made. Having OS X around wherever you are is wonderful. I thought I'd regret the decision to buy, but I couldn't be happier.
  3. runninmac macrumors 65816


    Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Yeah id go for one and if you really need one you won't be dissapointed with it. Theyre great machinces. Updated powerbooks probobly wont be out for quite a while, i havn't heard of any rumors of future updates . I'd go for one now.
  4. 3lions macrumors member

    May 9, 2005
  5. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

    Feb 20, 2005
    Get one, preferably an iBook, because in a year when the dual core yonah PowerBooks come out, then you can use the money you saved to purchase it.
  6. macapple macrumors member

    Jun 5, 2005
    I got a 17 and i love it

    I switched with a 17er and could not be happier just go for it immediately it will be a year before the intels come out and i cant have a laptop more than a year.
  7. wtmcgee macrumors regular

    May 21, 2003
    I'm buying a 12" next week. I had the 1st gen 12" and I loved it. They're plenty powerful for anything you'd want to do. Plus, by the time you're ready to get a new powerbook, the whole "intel transition" will be nearly complete on the notebook side - the 2nd or 3rd rev Powerbooks will be ready to go.
  8. macapple macrumors member

    Jun 5, 2005
    Generation x

    i have a 17 inch pwer book 1.67ghz can any one tell me what generation it is?
  9. sbb155 macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2005
    I bought a new PB, 15 inch a few months ago.
    I love it.
    That being said, i think you are much better off waiting for the new intel processor. The current g4 is ancient by technology standards. The future longevity is limited. And resale value will be slammed when the new processors come out.
    In all fairness, I think it is best to wait unless you absolutely need one.
  10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816


    Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I mean depending on what you will be using your laptop for I would just settle for a lower end iBook for the time being. Once the new Macintel or whatever laptops come out go out and splurge on the Powerbook that we're all waiting for
  11. acedickson macrumors 6502a


    Dec 6, 2004
    I agree that if you can get it now, do it. I won't be able to buy one until around Christmas or early '06. I don't know if I will. Seeing that the x86 based notebooks should be available within 6 months or less. You'll get at least a good 9 mos.+ use before the x86 *books drop.

    My opinion is get it and enjoy it!
  12. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have the current 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz imo it's a fantastic notebook, people on these forums keep on saying they are slow but I haven't noticed that at all, we have 2 G5s here and the PowerBook compares really well to my GFs iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17".

    IMO if you want one buy one they are fantastic at the moment, and Apple seem to have added every single option under the sun to them. When it comes to computers it's not worth waiting for something new (unless it's just around the corner) because there will always be something new and you'll never buy!
  13. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2003
    I am hopefully going to get powerbook this week *crosses fingers* this weekend. Yeah man, just do it... you won't regret it.
  14. Willy S macrumors 6502

    May 8, 2005
    Well, I find PBs to be to expensive in relation to other Macs, especially the 15" and 17". I am a value seeker since I don´t have money to burn and I think that the 12" iBook would be the best bargain after it receives an update.
  15. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say go for it. Who knows how much better the Intel-based PowerBooks will perform compared to PowerPC-based PBs. I'm thinking that if you run current software under Rosetta (despite the Intel chips faster speed) you'll see a slight performance hit. How much of a hit? Who knows.

    Of course, this probably won't apply if you buy all new software written for the Intel chips. But for me, I have a lot of PPC software and probably won't be upgrading them any time soon. Just too expensive.

    What are other people's thoughts on this?
  16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Get it, it's a really powerfull machine that can handle all your tasks. Also, the portability is extremly nice, much easier to carry around then a Windblowz laptop.

Share This Page