Is buying Apple products from BB sketch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Mar 7, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I don't have an Apple store around me for 2 hours when I'm at college, so I will have to drive to Charleston in order to buy an iPad on friday if I want to get it from the Apple Store.

The only reason I'm considering doing this is if I will be "penalized" so to say by buying it from BB. I've always had a fear of buying anything Apple from BB because of what I overheard a genius bar tell one of their costumers during their appointment.

She had a problem with her Macbook and told them she bought it from BB a couple months ago, so the genius cut her short and told her she had to get it dealt with by BB.

So my question is has this changed, or will I still have to deal with BB if I have any type of problem with my iPad?

Thanks

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Buying it from Best Buy shouldn't be any different than buying it from Apple directly.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

"Is buying Apple products from BB sketch?"

No

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

This and I don't think you would ever have to reveal to a "genius" that you bought it at BB. It shouldn't make a difference.

5. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

If I remember correctly it was a pretty terminal problem with the Macbook, so a return/fix was in order. The receipt she handed him obviously said Best Buy and thats when he said you'll have to get it taken care of by them.

6. adeloren macrumors member

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Apple should still be handling repairs since Best Buy is an authorized reseller and it's covered under warranty. If it was a return/exchange (not related to warranty repairs), then Best Buy would have to handle it for obvious reasons.

8. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    The Genius was mistaken. Buy with confidence from Best Buy (if necessary).

9. iMule macrumors 6502

I MISS SOUTH CAROLINA! :(

Born and raised. Until we got the Apple Store in Greenville, I always had to go get my Apple stuff from BB. Sadly, I moved to Lakeland FL 3 months ago.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Bestbuy is an authorized reseller there is nothing sketchy about it. If anything is wrong you 100% can take it to the genius bar to get it looked at and repaired if necessary and still under warranty.

11. PriceH macrumors member

I would agree with all of the previous posts, except I was in a BB last week and witnessed a return (MacBook Air), and then the employee shrink-wrapped it again and put it back out as new.

That is "sketch" if you ask me.

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Be Careful

I called Apple and asked them about returning products and they said if I bought the iPad from BB then I would have to heed to BB's return policy. The repair, however, should be okay. Don't see why they would say take it to BB.

13. Roy G Biv, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

You're asking if it's okay to sketch people as they're buying Apple products from a Best Buy store?

Ethically, yes. But I just don't see the artistic merit. Are you hoping to sell it as an advertisement?

EDIT: You will have to get a legally signed document from any and all persons you sketch if your illustration is used commercially or broadcasted in any mass media format.

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Highly doubt it

They may have put it out to sell at a discounted price, but there is no way any Best Buy is going to try and pass it off as a new one especially since their return system will automatically put it in as an open box item.

At best what you saw was them shrink wrapping the box so that they wouldn't have to worry as much about theft... at worst your story is a complete fabrication

15. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    That's right. If it's a return or exchange, and it's under BB's return window, you take it to where you bought it.

If it's repair service under warranty, like the OP suggested, you take it to Apple.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple will honor warranty repairs regardless of where it was purchased.

If you want to return it (vs having it repaired), you have to take it to wherever you orig bought it.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This has never been Apple policy. What may have changed is the "Genius's" job b/c if he kept telling this to customers it probably caught up with him and he was fired.

There is no problem buying from BB. If you have an issue you can make an appt. with the Genius Bar anytime you like. If they refuse service get the manager b/c it's for all Apple product customers, not just ones who bought direct from Apple.

You also have 90 day free tech support @ Apple if there is an issue.

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have to buy from Best Buy cause I have $225 dollars in gift certificates. I hope I don't get screwed. I just want to know what time they will start selling them. If it's when doors open fine, if it's 5pm fine, just let me know BB will ya!!!

19. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Best Buy iPad 2 FAQ

Best Buy iPad 2 FAQ
    http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Computers-Home-Networking/iPad-2-FAQ/m-p/250828

When will the iPad 2 be available at Best Buy?
    5:00 p.m. local time on Friday, March 11th, 2011. In stores only.

Will there be a pre-order available?
    No.

What different iPad 2 models will be available?
    Black and white versions of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB with wifi only as well as respective versions for Verizon 3G or AT&T 3G.

What will the price of the iPad 2 be?
    Wifi: 16GB $499.99. 32GB $599.99. 64GB $699.99.
    3G: 16GB $629.99. 32GB $729.99. 64GB $829.99.

Will iPad 2 accessories be available?
    Yes. We also expect the iPad 2 smart covers to be available as well.

Will Geek Squad Black Tie Protection (GSBTP) be available for the iPad 2?
    Yes, we offer two GSBTP plans for the iPad and iPad 2, a standard and an ADH (accidental damage from handling) plan for coverage up to three years from date of purchase. Prices for GSBTP vary depending on which plan is purchased, see stores for details.

Will Buy Back be available for the iPad 2?
    Yes, Buy Back will be available for the iPad 2 and will guarantee a trade-in price for up to two years from purchase. If both GSBTP and Buy Back are purchased at the same time, you will save 50% on the price of Buy Back.

What is the return & exchange period on tablet computers, like the iPad or iPad 2?
    14 days. To read the full policy: http://bbyurl.us/rte

This FAQ will be expanded as additional facts become available and is subject to change.

20. DS3 macrumors 6502a

That FAQ prompted me to look up the buy back program which I had never looked at.

Wow, some convenience for people who don't want to deal with craigslist and such but generally awful. You could pay 70 dollars to get the option, and return the 500 dollar ipad in 13 months for 150 dollars... for a net payout of 80 dollars returned.. on a best buy gift card. No thanks on that one.

I'll be buying it at best buy on friday though.

21. melman101 macrumors 68030

Is this official? I saw this, this morning. They better not be lying to me.