iPhone XR Is call quality and reception really that bad on the Xr?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MRrainer, Dec 7, 2018.

1. MRrainer macrumors 65816

This is one of the things you obviously can't test in a store.

I've sort of settled on getting the Xr because
    - I only have a 4S, so I won't miss any of the things that the Xr doesn't have, other than the headphone jack (which already went the way of the Dodo with the iPhone 7 anyway)
    - it has the best battery-life of any iPhone ever (including the SE)
    - it's unclear if an SE2 will ever exist or if the Xr is in fact the SE2 - supersized
    - it's the cheapest of this year's lineup
    - don't know if I'm sensitive to this PWM thing, so why risking it?
    - I'll try to ignore the size because they're all freaking huge anyway

But if the reception and call-quality is really worse, that would be a bummer.

2. darkelipse04, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

darkelipse04 macrumors member

darkelipse04

....What? Why would you create a thread like this to compare a 4S to an XR thinking it’s bad and worse?

The XR is better in almost every way possible including reception and call quality.

3. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

I think you're confusing the reception with complaints about LTE and Wifi speeds. Long story short Apple and Qualcomm are in dispute over royalty fees. So Apple went with Intel instead. Now, some people are compaining the new Intel chips are giving them half the performance of the Qualcoom chips when they benchmark their LTE and wifi speeds.

4. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

I'm not happy with the cellular reception on my Xr. I drive around the same areas (Scottsdale, Phoenix) pretty much every day. There are certain areas, or spots in the road, where I drop calls with the Xr every time, but never happened there with my 8 plus.

5. MRrainer thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't care about LTE speed. My contract has very low speeds and my WiFi at home isn't top-of-the-line either.

I care about general connectivity issues, compared to other iPhones.