Is canon website safe to download printer software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meduras, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Meduras macrumors newbie

I'd like some drivers for printer. Is canon site safe to download them as self-installed trojans are Mac's worst nightmare and I have no real time scanner to detect if something comes in.

Google gives me both sites, but is there any difference?

https://www.usa.canon.com
    http://www.canon-europe.com

I just find it weird one is canon.com while other canon-europe.com - if it is same company, shouldn't it be europe.canon.com...

Not sure what to trust or to trust either at all.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The software is probably the same on both sites (although maybe with some language differences). As far as I can tell, both are legitimate.

With that said, you can usually just plug in the printer and turn it on. It'll typically offer to install the necessary drivers automatically.

3. Meduras thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not offering me this chance unfortunately.
    So both sites look fine? If you have used one yourself, which then?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I've downloaded drivers and software from the US site repeatedly with no issues.

5. Meduras thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good to hear!

6. mollyc macrumors 6502a

I've also downloaded drivers and software from the USA site with no issues.

7. Enryn macrumors newbie

What if they're old drivers, meant for Lion, would it cause harm to stuff them into El Capitan?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... they may just refuse to install or install and just not work.

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It probably just wouldn't work on a more current OS, at least not properly. Best to download the latest software/driver from the manufacture's website.

10. Enryn macrumors newbie

So I could just try and if it works, it is fine, if it doesn't work, it won't leave behind some half-installed mess?
    I just want to be sure before trying, but saw something that older software might not know how to install properly/ half-install and make it all worse. Sorry for bombing questions. :D
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    Problem is, it is latest this old model has. :)
    By properly, you mean it just doesn't function well enough, not that it can harm Mac or weaken system somehow?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct.

This is just a printer driver and it won't hurt anything. Now if you were trying to force feed some old iStat menus utility and things like that that install kext files to work, then yes, that might cause a system crash.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I've never heard of an old driver causing harm to a computer. It may not tell you upon launch that the driver is not compatible with the OS. It might not even let you even install it.

13. Enryn macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm not certain what those mean so I'll use examples: one printer driver and one scanner driver, meant for OSX Lion. Would those be safe to try to install into El Capitan?
    https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp160/

So trying wouldn't hurt and if it works, it will be fine?
    Thank you!

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a folder /System/Library/Extensions/ where some utilities like iStat menus and others install what are called kext files to extend system functionality. Often times older versions of those kext files can cause instability and crashing. But a normal printer driver installation does not install such files, so would not be a problem. I was just trying to explain what you may have read elsewhere about how old software can cause problems.

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I've been helping on another poster with the Pixma MP160. Those drivers stopped working on OS X several versions back.
    I think that Lion was the last officially supported system.
    You should be able to use the scanner part, but it's unlikely that you will get the printer to work properly.
    Time to move on to something newer.

16. Enryn macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. So the printer driver and scanner driver both are safe from kext files?

I got it from my uncle ("hey look, free printer, here's CD use it or download or whatever"), who was cleaning up his house.
    I even got my hopes up for a day. :( Trying to be cheap these days...

Well, if it doesn't muck up my system, I'll squeeze out as much as I can from scanner at least.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. Sometimes there are scanner utilities that do install those, but you are just installing the printer/scanner drivers so should be okay.

18. Enryn macrumors newbie

Thank you for clarifying!