Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umndan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Saw these pics on comingsoon.net, the phone doesn't look familiar to me but I figured Marvel is pretty Apple-centric so assume maybe they gave him a 6s to film with? I don't have a 6, so maybe this is not an 'S'... if anyone knows it'd be you guys! Unless it's a non-Apple phone, in which case, neverminddddd.

Attachments

• captainamericaset0001.jpg
    captainamericaset0001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 626

umndan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Well of course it's a prop. But it's a working prop. The picture is on set of the new movie now filming. I was thinking maybe Apple gave them one to use, kind of how Apple gave Modern Family an iPad to film with before the iPad was released. But maybe since the design is nearly identical it doesn't really matter if it's the 6 or the 6s.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
It looks more like a droid type phone based on the placement of a couple of things and that's if it is a phone. Since this appears to be taken on set it could be some type of tech that they have at the Avengers Facility. Also based on this picture alone how do you even know if the prop in question is a working prop?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well of course it's a prop. But it's a working prop. The picture is on set of the new movie now filming. I was thinking maybe Apple gave them one to use, kind of how Apple gave Modern Family an iPad to film with before the iPad was released. But maybe since the design is nearly identical it doesn't really matter if it's the 6 or the 6s.
That was advertised as such a thing. Doing it without advertisements or anything really noticeable (some few random people online guessing about a random picture wouldn't be that) doesn't get Apple anything aside from giving up something they haven't revealed yet, which isn't in their interests. It's one of those "hear hoofbeats, think horses (rather than zebras)" types of things.

umndan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Apple didn't pay Modern Family for them to use the iPad. MF asked Apple since they knew it was coming out and the script revolved around the dad being excited for a new product. Apparently Apple notoriously doesn't pay for product placement, though they do give products to use.
Anyways, I was just thinking since they literally talked to an Apple genius in the first Captain America movie, that maybe it's possible they got their hands on a new phone to use while filming. Marvel/Disney and Apple have always had close ties so I was just doing some fun speculation :)
re: working props, my boyfriend does prop styling and I've worked on a couple movie sets before, generally the tech props like that were working actual phones, though the screen is often rendered in.

umndan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
I mean... there's tons of things that this looks nothing like. An iPhone is not one of those things.
captainamericagetty0007.jpg
captainamericaset0002.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Basically there are different possibilities of what it could be, and an unreleased iOS device is one of the less likely ones.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Basically there are many possibilities of what it could be, and an unreleased iOS device is one of the less likely ones.
That's true of course. But OPPO, Huwawei, and Xiaomi are the only manufacturers currently that mimic the iPhone 5's style back at the moment, as far as I'm aware.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I believe it's an Oppo R7. The camera is in a similar place to iPhone and it has the back of an iPhone 5/5s. Looks like one to me at least

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think apple gives away highly private and confidential products that are not released to a movie start who will be photographed and filmed everywhere he goes. I think as the other members astutely posted, its more likely a non-iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.