CarPlay Is CarPlay using iPhone's internal GPS or car's GPS unit?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by MacMan988, Sep 26, 2018.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Is CarPlay using iPhone's internal GPS or car's GPS unit?

2. GreyOS, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Was this a mistake? :D

I don’t have a CarPlay or GPS enabled car so couldn’t tell you, sorry.

3. DaveyVigs macrumors member

I’ll check on my way home today but I’m pretty sure it’s the iPhone GPS.

4. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Oh, I thought it was you who had indicated that CarPlay taps into vehicle systems rather than relying on its own entirely.

5. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm seeing weird behavior in apps using GPS location when I use CarPlay. The current location is getting switched between the actual current location I'm in and somewhere in the middle of the sea near Thailand all the time.
    Same thing happens with Google maps, Apple maps and even when I open Find iPhone app.

6. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

@Feenician You might want to weigh in here (sorry to @GreyOS, who I thought was the person who knows about the connections CarPlay makes to in-vehicle nav and locational data).

7. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

It may use either. Using the car's GPS is an optional part of the protocol for the manufacturer. One way to check is to use GPSdiagnostic app and check the accuracy as you plug and unplug it. It should get significantly more accurate when using the car's antenna.

8. mikecalderone, Sep 26, 2018

mikecalderone macrumors member

mikecalderone

When you use Apple CarPlay its using your iPhone maps only. you can prove this by going to your iPhone and switch to iTunes and CarPlay will follow what you are doing. My Alpine ILX-107 has an External Antenna that is mounted on the Dash that it uses.

9. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I didn’t have time to find them earlier but these three WWDC sessions will tell you everything you want to know (and lots you didn’t, I’m sure) about CarPlay integration.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/723
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/717

the first one in particular has this slide. GPS information is recommended as part of the standard for wired CarPlay systems but required for Wireless CarPlay because the phone is more likely to be out of sight (in a pocket or bag), have no GPS reception (again pocket/bag) and presumably the power drain figures in there too, though they don’t mention that.

F15286C2-B263-4D35-B80C-FE5E5D825F1A.jpeg

10. Solver macrumors 6502a

Looks like this is a big reason why very few car manufacturers support wireless CarPlay in their cars that support CarPlay.

11. Feenician, Sep 26, 2018

Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Could be, but GPS units are quite common in cars that don’t have Nav specified at this point. Cheaper to streamline the manufacturing line, building fewer SKUs, than the few bucks that GPS hardware costs. I tend to think that that car manufacturers are just very slow and very bad at software on the whole.

I wouldn’t put anything more than a few bucks on my theory over yours though. The car industry is pretty strange.

12. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

As someone who has worked for over 2 decades in the auto industry, mostly at a manufacturer, you are correct - to a point. Much of the “strangeness” is due to the incredibly long (compared to other products) design and engineering cycle. Cars that will go on sale in 2022 are already nearing the end of their initial design phase. It’s very hard with those kind of lead times to accurately gauge what will be needed to interface with handheld devices at that point. Will there even be handheld devices then? I suspect Apple and Samsung do provide them with a limited product roadmap, but it may not account for everything the automakers need to know. And I know,from communicating with software engineers at the auto company that they can be just as puzzled as we are about why some things work and some don’t. A good case in point is the auto play feature that starts playing music without user input. They hate that.