Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I currently have an older gen Pioneer double din and I'm considering updating to a more modern unit. I've noticed that the "Carplay" term adds an extra $50 to $100 dollars to equivalent units and I'm wondering if it's worth it? With my old unit I can play music and take calls over bluetooth, what am I missing out on? Basically I'm wondering what Carplay adds to a car stereo that I don't already have?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
navigation, playing the music from your phone, imessage on the screen and other apps. I think it is great. Sounds like a lot of money for it but..

Reactions: simonsi

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I personally love having CarPlay and it makes life a lot easier for me. I just tell siri what I want to do, where I want to go, what I want to listen to, etc.

Plus the added benefit is that the wired connection using the lightning port gives WAY better sound quality than bluetooth ever could. For my ears it's night and day, and even better than an aux jack. If spotify goes to lossless like it seems, then it'll sound even better than now.

Reactions: simonsi

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Oh God yes, it's worth it.

I just got a new car with CarPlay, and I don't think I'll ever use the factory interface for navigation or phone (or anything else besides FM radio). We also got a new car for my wife that doesn't have factory nav but does have CarPlay, and we aren't wishing that it had the factory nav system.

What CarPlay does better than anyone else is a simple, easy-to-see UI that makes sense, especially to us iOS users.

You can go for a non-CarPlay head unit and spend the savings on beer n' pizza, but in two years, the beer n' pizza will be long gone (we hope!) and you'll still be wondering if CarPlay would have been nicer.

Here's one of the videos that sold me on it:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
But if you've have nothing but poor luck with Apple Maps.
And rely on Waze... you'll find it lacking, and still using a clip on iphone mount somewhere.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I've been convinced, now I just have to figure out what specific unit I'm getting. I'm split between Sony and two different pioneers. Appradio4 or the 4200nex.

Last edited:

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I plan on doing this as well, but for me it's got to be the Sony. It's the only one that has a nice non-carplay interface.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I've read that the Sony has great sound quality, but the NEX has hd radio and the appradio has an actual glass screen.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yes its worth it (to me), and I have been quite happy with the NEX. Just make sure you don't pay extra to get one that has built in navigation because that's a bit useless since you can use the iPhone navigation.

buckZor

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I cannot overstate how pleased I am with my CarPlay investment. People get in my (nearly) 17 year old Audi and are amazed at the technological amazement. Apple did a fantastic job with this and keep in mind, nearly every IOS update has a CarPlay tweak, fix or new feature. You aren't buying a tech investment for your car that is frozen in time like the old days. If you are an Apple person, this is a no brainer and I should have done it sooner. I even enjoy driving now.

Reactions: ColoArtist

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
You aren't buying a tech investment for your car that is frozen in time like the old days.

This is probably the best part.

I'm finding out how old the Android-based OS is in my month-old Honda's head unit, and I'm more than glad to have the option of a clean iOS interface and a modern OS to back it up.

buckZor

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I purchased the JVC KW-V820BT from a local car stereo store. They recommended that model and had a killer deal on factory refurbished units with full factory warranty. http://mobile.jvc.com/multimedia/kw_v820bt/

221994_KW-V820BTK_angle_01R.jpg

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I'm trying to determine if CarPlay is worth the money to buy an aftermarket system with installation (I've watched installation videos, and it's beyond my comfort level). I had CarPlay in a rental car, and I enjoyed it, but if it typically introduces problems (Bluetooth connection, steering wheel controls, etc), I'll probably pass. I much prefer Apple Maps over my Jeep's Uconnect mapping. With iOS 12 support for Google Maps and Waze, I'm even more interested.

I've been looking at the Kenwood DDX9904S

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I have the previous version, the 9903 and it’s great. Yes CarPlay does occasionally have issues but the benefits far outweigh any problems.

Reactions: Pipper99

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
For me the biggest advantage is that I can use maps without having to buy the usually most expensive model or option on a car for navigation It also allows messages to be read to me when they come in and I can answer by voice so it is still a mental distraction but not a physical one.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I like CarPlay in my 2018 merc. Siri can even hear me when travelling at speed with the roof down. It’s biggest downfall is Apple Maps which is just awful in the UK but in a months time we will have Google Maps. Apple Music works really well using CarPlay. I think it will get better over the next 2 or3 tears and then we will wonder how we ever got by without it

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I'm scheduled to have a Kenwood DDX9905S installed in my Jeep Wrangler (I'm a sucker for a high res screen). They say that all of my steering wheel controls will be retained except for the Call button. The iDatatalink Maestro wouldn't do much for me since the A/C controls are manual knobs, and my tire pressure, etc, is on the main dash between the speedometer and tachometer (they said if I had a Grand Cherokee, the Maestro would be necessary). The Maestro would let me see a bunch of diagnostic gauges on the HU that I've never had anyway, but the Maestro plus install would increase the price a few hundred bucks, so I opted out. I'm looking forward to CarPlay. Thank you all for the great information! :)

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Well, I'm scheduled to have a Kenwood DDX9905S installed in my Jeep Wrangler (I'm a sucker for a high res screen). They say that all of my steering wheel controls will be retained except for the Call button. The iDatatalink Maestro wouldn't do much for me since the A/C controls are manual knobs, and my tire pressure, etc, is on the main dash between the speedometer and tachometer (they said if I had a Grand Cherokee, the Maestro would be necessary). The Maestro would let me see a bunch of diagnostic gauges on the HU that I've never had anyway, but the Maestro plus install would increase the price a few hundred bucks, so I opted out. I'm looking forward to CarPlay. Thank you all for the great information! :)

It’ll be so much better with iOS 12 and the ability to use google maps / Waze. I have a grand Cherokee and I don’t ever use it because Apple maps are so bad IMO.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
It’ll be so much better with iOS 12 and the ability to use google maps / Waze. I have a grand Cherokee and I don’t ever use it because Apple maps are so bad IMO.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to Google Maps and Waze in iOS 12 (I have an android phone too, and I’ve used both apps on this Kenwood unit). I’ll like google Maps and Waze much better, though, in CarPlay with the small selection bar on the left side rather than Android’s large bars at the bottom and top: Carplay’s implementation allows for more of the map to display onscreen to my eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.