Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey guys,

I just got my new S4 and am in LOOOOVE with it, CRAZY improvement over the S2, so much more useful at this speed and size!

I'm contemplating adding a 5€/month esim option to it.
But then again I ALWAYS have my phone with me, except when I'm running.

How are your experiences with Cellular data on the watch and would you say it's worth it? Did it change any of your behaviours and you leave the phone behind occasionally?

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Not for me.

It all depends on your use case.

Edit: there was a time when I was running and perhaps it would have been nice to leave the phone behind and stream music from the watch, but here lately I’ve been riding a stationary bike, so it’s not a big deal.

If your runs are long or you are worried about where you are running or missing a call while you run, perhaps it is worth it.

I’ve also seen at least one guy commenting that he doesn’t even carry his phone anymore.. just has his watch.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Depends on YOU. For me... absolutely NOT.

the ONLY reason I even bought a cellular version is because I wanted SS. and I resent that I had to pay the extra money for the cellular internals. (AND I had to pay the upgrade to Milanese OR have 2 white watch bands.... I REALLY wish apple would start letting you choose from all their available bands rather than picking one sport band per watch type.)

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Does anyone know how to cancel cellular service? Just removing Cellular from Watch app remove it completely from wireless plan?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Depends on YOU. For me... absolutely NOT.
Exactly. Depends on the individual.

For me... absolutely YES. I get a great deal of use out of it, though more for the data access than for voice.
[doublepost=1539192728][/doublepost]
Does anyone know how to cancel cellular service? Just removing Cellular from Watch app remove it completely from wireless plan?
Should be just a matter of removing it from the Watch app, but I'd also follow up with the carrier in a day or so to confirm.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
For me yes - for many including myself you’ll find yourself leaving the phone behind and being less glued to having that with you at all times.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I must have posted this at least said this six other times in similar threads already in progress, but until carriers and Apple can synthesize more attractive rates for The consumer, I would say a strong majority have no desire to want to add an additional $12-$15 a month to an Already ‘expensive carrier bill’ for service that would be secondary for most, not primary. But it really depends on how somebody is using the Apple Watch and for what purposes that they would completely utilize LTE.

Reactions: staggerlee41

ac360

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I agree with other comments. It depends on how you’ll use your AW. For me, cellular is totally worth it. I go to the gym every morning and run in the evening. I listen to music on my watch during workout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.