Is ClamXav worth downloading

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Dec 3, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

As some of you know Apple says use an AV (even though they've since removed the article). I am never gonna use Norton/McAffee/Intego...if i'm gonna use anything its gonna be ClamXav as it seems less resource heavy.

However i wanted to know if it is actually a good AV or completely useless. What is it good for if anything?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not for catching viruses, as there aren't any.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Clam only runs when you tell it to, no active protection, no active resource poaching. Its effective at what its for, its just like the antivirus you used on your pc ten years ago.

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Oh right. So in essence you can only use it when the damage is done. No pre-emptive

5. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

I said, "No." The reason, as stated is there's no 'active' scanning for the whole system. Not that it's needed.

6. Queso macrumors G4

The only use I've ever had for it is removing all those Windows worms and phishing attempts out of my e-mail folders. It's never caught a virus that would actually affect my Mac, but it's useful for a tidyup.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Thanks for the replies...i think i'll just download it anyway...might prove useful later on