Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
i recently bought an 2012 iMac(base model) and a 2013 macbook air(upgraded to 256gb and 8gb ram)

...the raison I switched from pc is because i got tired of virus. But after i bought my macs, I read that, even with a mac, I had to "clean" the computer. So I bought CleanMyMac (for both my computers). But is there anything else I need to buy in order to keep my macs running to full performance and keeping them "clean"??

Thank you in advance

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
That was bad advice you read. CleanMyMac has been blamed for all sorts of ills in this forum and elsewhere. Do not use it. Return it and get your money back if you can. Macs do a fine job of maintaining themselves. You don't need such an app.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Gregg2 is right, under normal circumstances you do not need to do any maintenance apart from installing updates.

Those maintenance apps are best avoided as all they tend to do is remove things like caches (removing them can slow the computer down temporarily) or removes things like languages (can remove too much and break things). The only time that this *may* be effective is when you have almost no disk space free.

MacScott

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Indiana
I have run ClamXAV for several years. All I have ever turned up are a few windows viruses that I got in email attachments. They were nothing that would have harmed my Mac. It doesn't seem to use up any resources so I keep it running for peace of mind.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Return CleanMyMac ASAP!!!! That program is horrible and just slows down your system. Personally I think that program is a virus .

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Return CleanMyMac ASAP!!!! That program is horrible and just slows down your system. Personally I think that program is a virus .

It's not a virus, but you were well advised to get rid of it. I, too, use ClamX and run it once a month. I get the harmless stuff that rides in on mail, Quarantine it, dump it in the Trash. It only runs on your command, and uses no resources unless you're running it. It's the only anti-malware recommended by most users on MR.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
...the raison I switched from pc is because i got tired of virus. But after i bought my macs, I read that, even with a mac, I had to "clean" the computer.
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
So I bought CleanMyMac (for both my computers).
I would not recommend using CleanMyMac or any of its variants, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.
is there anything else I need to buy in order to keep my macs running to full performance and keeping them "clean"??
I use CCleaner and Clamxav.. with no problems....
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Wow I didn't realize you even had to pay for it until now. Poor guy just dropped $60 on a useless application that will probably do more harm than good. It's a shame a lot of people out there also won't realize this until after the fact because they just assume it's some type of "anti virus" app and will take care of their Macs for them.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH, I just send them a refund request, youre responses were REALLY helpful

But should I uninstall cleanmymac? or keep it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH, I just send them a refund request, youre responses were REALLY helpful

But should I uninstall cleanmymac? or keep it?

I highly recommend that you uninstall it, using the method in the link that Shrink posted.

wbensky

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
California
What everyone else said but, if you need to free up some disk space (which is somewhat likely with your MBA), I would suggest Disk Doctor, which is fast and much more affordable at $1.99. Get it in the Mac App Store.

:apple:

macpaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
Hi, My name is Oleksandr and I am the CEO of MacPaw.

GGJstudios, you are referring to the article(CleanMyMac cleaned too much) that is 4 years old!
It is the same thing as to say: don't use use Mountain Lion, because MacOs Classic crashed all the time!

In 2009 It was very early version of CleanMyMac and yes, unfortunately it could cause some troubles.
But since then we released more then 50 updates including major update to CleanMyMac2 this Spring.

We care a lot about our customers and we invest a lot of our time in quality of our products. But it is very painful to see all this comments on MacRumors Forums that once you made a mistake people won't forget it, event though it was very long time ago.
Software evolving very quickly, so please don't make judgement on past mistakes!

P. S. And by the way, CleanMyMac is not MacKeeper! Because people often mistakenly refer us to this product.

Reactions: cschmelz

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Whether it was back in the bad old days when ClearnMyMac created problems or now that it is all better, one thing remains constant: CleanMyMac was not needed then; CleanMyMac is not needed now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi, My name is Oleksandr and I am the CEO of MacPaw.

GGJstudios, you are referring to the article(CleanMyMac cleaned too much) that is 4 years old!
The thread may have started 4 years ago, but has posts as recently as November. People still continue to report problems with your app, both in this forum and elsewhere on the web. A simple Google search will reveal many such reports.
Software evolving very quickly, so please don't make judgement on past mistakes!
I base my opinion on two facts:
1. To this day, people continue to report problems with using such apps.
2. Such apps are absolutely not necessary to keep OS X running well.

macpaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
I base my opinion on two facts:
1. To this day, people continue to report problems with using such apps.
2. Such apps are absolutely not necessary to keep OS X running well.
The main purpose of CleanMyMac is to clean disk space and we do it well!
We have thousands of customers who really need it and they are pretty happy with the results: "Twitter search on CleanMyMac"

Other "such apps" are trying to copy what we do, but they don't know all the the amount of work we do under the hood to keep CleanMyMac safe and reliable.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The main purpose of CleanMyMac is to clean disk space and we do it well!
We have thousands of customers who really need it and they are pretty happy with the results: "Twitter search on CleanMyMac"

Other "such apps" are trying to copy what we do, but they don't know all the the amount of work we do under the hood to keep CleanMyMac safe and reliable.
The way your app cleans disk space is in some cases ineffective, in some cases counter-productive and temporary, and potentially dangerous to less computer literate users. I have tested CMM extensively many times and found this to be true with all versions. Read some of the many threads where I've discussed this in detail with other representatives from your company over the years. In those threads are specific examples of your app's failures. I'm not inclined to repeat the same information over again, when you can search and read existing threads for yourself. I've done my homework. It's time for you to do the same.

macpaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
The way your app cleans disk space is in some cases ineffective, in some cases counter-productive and temporary, and potentially dangerous to less computer literate users. I have tested CMM extensively many times and found this to be true with all versions. Read some of the many threads where I've discussed this in detail with other representatives from your company over the years. In those threads are specific examples of your app's failures. I'm not inclined to repeat the same information over again, when you can search and read existing threads for yourself. I've done my homework. It's time for you to do the same.
We receive tremendous amount of feedbacks from different sources, and I assure you that we are processing each problem request to make our software better.
Which version did you test last time? Here is free license for the latest (2.0.6) version: id723935674363odr

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
We receive tremendous amount of feedbacks from different sources, and I assure you that we are processing each problem request to make our software better.
Which version did you test last time? Here is free license for the latest (2.0.6) version: id723935674363odr
Thanks for the offer, but my motivation is to help Mac users, not to help you or anyone else sell software. As has been stated many times, "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps are not needed to keep OS X running well, and space can be freed up without the need for a 3rd party app.

macpaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
Thanks for the offer, but my motivation is to help Mac users, not to help you or anyone else sell software. As has been stated many times, "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps are not needed to keep OS X running well, and space can be freed up without the need for a 3rd party app.
I am not trying to sell our software here, I am just asking not to judge us by really outdated information and compare us to "similar" low quality apps.

gielie

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Amsterdam
I have a very bad experience with this program, especially the iphoto cleanup. I lost several GB of original photo material because of it. gladly i had a proper backup.

I advice everybody not to touch this malignant software.

macpaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
I have a very bad experience with this program, especially the iphoto cleanup. I lost several GB of original photo material because of it. gladly i had a proper backup.

I advice everybody not to touch this malignant software.

iPhoto cleanup module is designed to clean original photo material. By default it will only clean rotated photos, which are basically duplicates and are safe to remove.
But if you wish, you can clean RAW and filtered photos. This will save you tremendous disk space but this is only if user decided to do so.
Of course we recommend to always have backups, but we are giving you the instrument to remove data that you may not need and you cannot do that manually.

Reactions: cschmelz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.