Is Coda still the popular choice for CSS and HTML?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chrono1081, Oct 25, 2013.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

So I'm not sure where to start. I got thrust into the role of web developer where I work working on a lot of custom in-house web apps and I run a Windows machine with various versions of Visual Studio at work and a Mac at home (I'm trying to do this without virtualizing Windows).

I have to study a lot at home since my background is in non-web programming (and I don't want to look like a weak link) and was wondering if Coda is still the popular choice for web stuff.

Right now I'm focusing on learning HTML and CSS but will also need to eventually add ASP.Net, Razor, Visual Basic, and C# to my arsenal since after digging through code it appears that various apps use various things.

Would Coda be a good choice to get to work with all of these languages?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not really. HTML, CSS and JavaScript yes. Code would be fine for.

For C#, Visual Basic and ASP.Net you can use Mono and MonoDevelop but if you need to develop in those languages professionally I'd really recommend you stick with Windows + Visual Studio. You'll find you'll have much less in the way of problems and you won't end up wasting your time on trying to fix little problems that you really shouldn't.

For the cost of a Windows license and the time taken to download and install the Visual Studio Express versions you'll be much better served than trying to do it all on a Mac.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks! I think thats the route I will go. I have Windows 7 already so I can just virtualize it. I'm just trying to practice the front end code at home and all the back-end server stuff I'll have to do at work. Web is definitely different than what I am used to thats for sure.

4. ekiro macrumors regular

Coda is nice because of the split view (html,css,preview - you can throw in js too if thats your thing too).

But I noticed the software is bulky and could be better. I don't mind paying for it, I just expect quality.

I hear Sublime may have some add-ons that will enable you to have a split-view and have the preview update in realtime as you code. And sync with a remote server too. That's ALL you really need. On the other hand there are tons of web-apps for this but lack the robust functionality of a file-manager synced with a remote (development/production) server.