is comcast screwing me? help sending mail.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lord patton, Feb 7, 2008.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

New problem appeared today. I sent an email to a client whose address is xxx@comcast.net. It got bounced back as spam. I attempted to get it removed from comcast's blacklist to no avail. They said:

"You have been blocked from emailing the Comcast network because we have determined that you are sending email from a dynamic/residential IP within the Comcast domain. Comcast does not allow subscribers to send email from a mail server other than smtp.comcast.net. All mail should be sent through Comcast's mail server."

Ok, so here's my scenario. I use comcast for internet access, but I do not use their email. I have my own domain and I host through lunarpages. Apple Mail connects to lunarpages.

Up until yesterday, this client was receiving emails. So did comcast just recently flag me? Is there a workaround short of using comcast's mail servers? And is that even an option? I'm not changing my email address—I have my own domain for a reason.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i hate comcast with a passion... i almost wish cable companies weren't government granted monopolies and dozens of companies came tearing up the streets laying cable everywhere...

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can't really speak to your technical question, though I will say that Comcast is probably within their rights to restrict you, telecom companies seem to be able to do anything they want.

I just wanted to add that as a fellow Comcast customer I recommend switching services rather than dealing with them, it's just easier.

4. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

does this mean that someone with comcast internet can't use gmail, either? Nothing but comcast?

I guess I'll have to dig into comcast's faqs, but can I send through their smpt server but still have my personal domain email be the "sent from" address that a client sees?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I suggest that you move to Gmail, set up your lunarpages account there (as a sent from), and use that from now on. Or: You could see if you could use SSL on your mail server (blocks IP info); You could also use Comcast's outgoing server without causing problems to your email; You could move your domain's email handling to Gmail, and never have this problem again, ever.

TEG

6. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

Enabling SSL looks like the easiest way to go. I'm not sure I understand the other options. Is there a good resource to learn the basics of such things? I understand my Mac pretty well, now, but networking looks like voodoo to me.:eek:

7. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

So recipients would see my adam at melodicmovement dot com address and as such would respond to that address?

8. tefleming macrumors 6502

Yes, ftw.

Use SSL and it should be fine. Surprised your host didn't make you do this (or did you just let Mail "autoconfigure" your account?)

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I use gmail's outgoing email server, as well as my university's outgoing email server, with no problems. I am also on Comcast.

EDIT: Oh, I do have SSL enabled on both, so guess that explains why it works fine.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. The outgoing mail server has nothing to do with your address.

Gmail for domain would be the thing I was talking about changing your mail handling to. It is an awesome that Google now offers for anyone's domain.

TEG

11. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton