Is configuring 2.2 ghz 15 inch with SSD worth it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roogr, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Roogr macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I know the opinions of the most persons here about putting a SSD in a macbook pro of an other brand like Intel, not the Apple SSD because it is overpriced.
    But what do you guys think if I can put in a SSD 128GB instead of 750GB 5400 RPM for 89,- EUR more?

Is it worth to put it in? Or should I just take the 5400/7200 RPM drive and put it in later?

Let me know your opinion!

2. JH4DC5 macrumors member

upgrading to a ssd for only $90 more is definitely worth it. It's not the fastest ssd out there, but you can definitely tell the difference between the ssd and a standard hdd. also, native trim support is a plus too and a piece of mind that the ssd just "works" without any beach balling or freezing.

3. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

Get a regular HD.

Wait for SSD prices to drop in the next 6 months

Get it then. You waited this long right?

4. macagain macrumors regular

Absolutely.

I agonized over the $500 (I got the 256) for days before closing my eyes and just going for it. I figured I was already in for 2300 (hr screen), stinging on the ssd would be like buying a ferrari, and then converting it for bio-diesel!

A few months later, I'm still happy with the decision. Can't imagine running on bio-diesel, let alone 5400rpm bio-diesel!

Specs wise the Apple is not the fastest SSD you can buy, but reading all the stories of the pain other people are suffering with 3rd party SSDs, the Apple one is totally worth it. I doubt anyone can tell the different in everyday usage... kinda like 92 octane vs 91! And oh, it boots in less that one petal spin, sometimes I don't even see it... straight from apple to desktop!

go for it... tomorrow is always a day away!

5. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

I've got SSD from Apple on my MBP. Haven't tried it yet, ordered yesterday :) then I'll add second HDD to optibay! :p

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

if a 5400rpm or 7200rpm hdd can read and write as fast as you would like it to and you are satisfied with the time it takes to boot up, open applications and the like then there is no need to upgrade to a ssd. otherwise go for it.

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, the Apple SSD is a good idea for that price. Apple *really* needs to ship all MBP's with a SSD.

For the record, I have a SATA 3 SSD and it works perfectly. Its the OCZ Vertex 3 and I love it.