Is congratulating Apple the new +1 ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Neutral Gamer, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I was just reading the MacRumors article of how Apple is now the number one music retailer:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/03/apple-now-number-1-music-retailer/

Going through the first few pages I found the following posts:

I'n curious about this; surely these one sentence "hand claps" are about as useful and contributory to the thread as saying "+1" or "Agreed" ? Wouldn't simply clicking the "Rate Positive or Negative" option have conveyed the same thing? Or is this some kind of grey area?

If the official word is that it's acceptable then I too will start to post "Excellent news", "Well done", "Go Apple!" etc. when any positive news about Apple comes along and increase my post count quite quickly ... :D

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

they obviously aren't useful, but I doubt all of those people are really concerned with their post counts.

It does seem like this would be a form of bumping in the marketplace, however iThink it just kinda depends on the thread, because saying "I own this" in a thread about which external HD is best, would be useful. iThink there was a thread about where to buy ram and it turned into this very quickly.

3. Neutral Gamer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I can appreciate that but the thing that annoys me is having to go past all those posts to get to the posts that are actually discussing the matter at hand and adding something interesting to the conversation and bringing up new points of interest.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And you can do the same in the bad news threads (well the opposite). I agree it does seem pretty +1-like.

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

And then when we try "Its great to see Apple coming out with something new, etc..." then you'll complain that THAT will be the new "+1"

Can't please everybody these days...

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

You've got to check out other forums with a smaller population. Everybody just uses bump as a regular post, And the moderators don't even delete them.
    I've posted a un-usefull post a couple of times, but I try not to. Like "I agree" or just "YES!!!".

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Which is exactly why I don't bother attempting to!

Oh yeah, +1.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We do try to weed out posts that add clutter more than they add to the discussion. A few posts showing enthusiasm (or protesting) an announcement without giving reasons are usually acceptable, but too much of a good (or bad) thing makes the discussion less interesting to everyone else.

The thread that Neutral Gamer uses as an example is indeed one with "more than enough," and we removed some posts that were even less useful than the ones that remain there. The moderators routinely remove posts that say nothing but "sweet!" or "+1" or "me too." Posters who make a little more effort to form a complete sentence get a bit more leeway.

We don't want to be heavy handed about it, so we ask members to be considerate, make posts that others will find worth reading, and to report posts that aren't permitted under the rules.

9. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I see a lot of these posts, too, and I always question the point. Is it also the case that "downloading now" posts are similarly frowned upon? I see those posts quite a bit, too.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The moderators have leeway to make judgement calls, but we generally remove posts that say only "downloading now" or "restarting" or "installed OK". If there is any controversy about whether an update is safe, then it IS useful to know who had problems and OK for a few "installed OK" posts. Common sense is the key.

It's fine for people to tell us what bugs they hope will be fixed, and any problems they have after they update. Unfortunately, people sometimes blame an update for problems they in fact already had, which were revealed by the restart they did for the update.

Unless an update includes performance changes to Safari, we're likely to remove the "snappier" jokes, which have become more tiresome than amusing.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL was that iNtentional? (see larger sized text)

As for congratulating Apple....I think it should be that the users are congratulated, it's our money we're spending to make them #1. :) That is #1 not +1 fwiw.

12. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Gee, I'm not sure but wasn't that a lot of work for a thread? :)

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

yes...i do that a lot...always with iThink. b/c of think different. ya...u get the whole obsession thing...it used to be worse and i would have said iDo.