Is "Contract Free" T-Mobile iPhone 6 factory unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TopazAl, Sep 22, 2014.

1. TopazAl macrumors newbie

Hi all

I need help here. Is "Contract Free" T-Mobile iPhone 6 factory unlocked? I'm getting mix messages from Apple store rep and support. I was told by the store rep that Contract free T-Mobile version is still locked to T-Mobile. They said I should wait 1 or 2 months for the true factory unlocked version. However online, I see people able to use AT&T or StraightTalk SIM with contract free T-mobile version.

Is the phone suppose to lock to what ever the SIM is in the phone when it first power up? Can I use the phone in any other carrier afterward?

Any help is appreciated!!! :cool:

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There is a lot of pressure (probably from the carriers) to keep people under the impression that the T-Mobile version is locked to T-Mobile.

The contract free T-Mobile iPhone, if bought from Apple (store or online) is unlocked. If you buy from a T-Mobile store, it might be locked, and will almost definitely be locked if you buy it on a JUMP installment plan. In such a case, if you pay off the device in full and keep it activated for 40 days, they'll unlock it.

f unlocked, you'll be able to use the phone with any GSM carrier. CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon) won't work.