Is Craigslist worth it? Why's it so cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bikalpapaudel, Jul 12, 2009.

1. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

I have been browsing Craigslist.co.uk for quite sometime and there are some awesome deals out there. I am not a high end guy and am looking for a second machine.

Let this link clear out things..
    http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/sys?maxAsk=200&query=apple&srchType=T

The models listed are incorrect. Some titles talk about MBA and the details posted show 17" MBP!

The information is wrong, there is almost nothing said about the current condition of machines, no actual photos. Some unrelated notebook pics and/or new pics from Apple.com are there. And at times the ads are from weird sellers.

I was looking for an inexpensive G3/G4 era notebook for less than 200 UK Pounds, and I can see MacBooks, MBPs and even MBAs enlisted for lower than that!

What now? Is it all SCAM?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It probably is a scam. Some may not be a scam. Just buy from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller.

3. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

4. bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

Uh.. Unlike eBay and else, with Craigslist, you contact the seller, see the product and then buy it.

So I dont know how they think they'll manage to scam anyone. There are genuine ones too.

But I was surprised to not find good ol' 'books. :(

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Although the specs listed are wrong, the thing about CL is you can request photos and/or see the product in person. Just cause you see it, and play with it a little, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Whether they like it or not, its your money, and if its a scam then at least you'll know before buying unlike how people still get fooled on eBay.
    I did get a good laugh at the guy on here who posted about buying a knockoff iPhone from someone on CL.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For the most part... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is ;)

However, that said, there are deals to be had

Look out for scams:

Stolen items
    Bait and switch items
    Pirated items
    The usual things

Always buy locally, meet in a public place and test the merchandise thoroughly
    If you have any doubts, walk away

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because people are idiots and when the seller says they'll only accept a wire transfer, the "buyer" does it anyway.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can only deal face to face and with cash. No wire transfer, paypal or anything. You need to be able to see and try the machine in a public setting. If they can show you proof of purchase too that will help eliminate the possibility of buying a stolen item.

9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i use craigslist alot

let me clarify this for you and anybody else.

anything that wants you to go on a website and buy something is a scam

10. bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

Wow. Thats a lot of help!

So only dealing face to face, tryin the machine and looking out for proof of purchase.

What more should one look for, specifically in a used Mac notebook? I sure wont buy any of those dual USB iBooks, lest one fail in no time. Anything else?

And guys, what's like the best deal you got? From CL or eBay?

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

The thing about CL is its usually first come first serve for most people, and unlike bidding on eBay, you can try to talk a reasonable offer out of the buyer (SOMETIMES).

Look at the cosmetics, make sure there isnt too much damage (depending on the price you get it at, it theres a small dent but the price is a steal and everything else is in tip, don't let that hold you back).

Make sure you try it out, remember in most cases the buyer may not take it back, so make sure its what you want. An iBook will say iBook and look a hell of a lot different from a MacBook.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Bring a friend/relative and go to a place like Starbucks to meet up.

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

You can find great deals on CL because usually people want to get rid of their items fast. Only deal cash, pick-up and bring a friend or two.

15. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I'd be weary of Craigslist if I was you, it's more hassle than it's worth. Buy from an authorised seller!

16. jinny1 macrumors member

I've bought many ibooks, powerbooks, and imacs off of craigslist for friends and have never been stiffed. I look for ads posted by an individual that are honest about condition and are asking a fair price for the specs of the mac they are selling.
    Scammers are a dime a dozen as well though. Their ads list things either without a city posted, or no price, or an insanely low price. Ones that list for sale without original install disc, or other missing equipment may be stolen.

17. bluespark macrumors 65816

I always sell my old systems on Craigslist (for in-person sales) or Ebay (for sales by mail), and they've always been in the conditions I represent them to be. I think many people do that, so your odds of being scammed may not be that high, unless you're looking for the too-good-to-be-true deals. (If you are, then the odds of being scammed would greatly increase.)

Then again, the general advice of taking precautions is spot-on. When I'm buying something used, I'll skip right over ads that have no pictures or generic marketing pictures. I also look for the good deals and tend to avoid the "great" deals. If you're buying from Ebay, ask questions of the seller and use a credit card that provides buyer protection. If buying locally from Craigslist, then definitely insist on testing the item. The idea is to do enough homework that: (1) you know what you're getting, and (2) the dishonest seller views you as a detection risk and doesn't want to sell to you any more.

18. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

dont let people make you nervous about using craigslist. Yes you should use precautions like meeting at a public place and bringing another person. But unless you are looking for an erotic massage your probably not going to be robbed.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Great advice. I would add that you should always deal in cash on Craigslist.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

and do a bill of sale, and both parties need to sign it. that way he can't accuse you of stealing it later.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I've never bought a laptop on Craigslist, but I have bought a bunch of other stuff as well as sold big ticket stuff (TV's, cameras, stereos, furniture) and I have yet to have a problem. I always look for an "honest" looking ad, something that isn't "h0t!!! APPPPLE Macbook! BNIB!!!! WEhite! WHY BUY FOMR APPLE WHEN U CAN BUY FROM ME N sSAVE!!! Got it as A Gift buT I alreADY Have one SO I am SelIInG!"

IF they have a receipt and are selling it brand new, be sure to ask them a)why don't you just return it and get your money back instead of selling it for a loss and b) make sure the Serial number on the box and the receipt match (I dunno if they do that in the UK, here in Canada at least when you buy Apple stuff the serial number is on the receipt to prevent false returns). And that $600 newest-gen Macbook Air is probably a scam ;)

22. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I agree with the people who have suggested bringing someone with you and meeting in a public place. Its very convenient for a would-be thief to have their mark come to them with a known amount of cash on them.