Is crossover a good app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by italiano40, Apr 24, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

Is crossover a good app for regular windows apps or is their something free or better

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Crossover uses the WINE (Windows Emulator) code base to do its job...WINE is free, but slightly more difficult to set up (my opinion)...OTOH, WINE is updated more frequently.

I've used Crossover to run utorrent on my Mac...and it works fine for that purpose.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

CrossOver does work for Windows apps - at least older ones that require Windows 95 or later. All such apps I've tested install and run with only minor issues.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Would it work with Nero or Cyberlink, Or is there another program that can run these on Mac?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Compatibility list

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

So no then Dam

7. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i used it for a while and i thought it was complete garbage. its a great idea but it needs some work. plus not every program works.

IMO use parallels for now. via torrent, then when crossover gets better switch. of course it was a couple months ago that i used it so maybe it's better now

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Crossover is excellent - provided it works with the particular application you need. Personally, I use it for work - mostly to run our Avaya phone manager application + outlook.

A lot of applications still need genuine Windows, however, at which point you have to resort to either Boot Camp or virtualisation through VMWare or whatever.

However, it's generally a much better idea to try and find native applications where you can. Certainly, Toast would be a better option than trying to run Nero IMHO.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

"port install wine"

is soo hard!! :p

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It is not an emulator. WINE itself even stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

It is a port of the windows API to Unix based operating systems.

11. kweston2 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't put to much stock in crossover... I bought there software when it first came out a year ago. They had Outlook 2003 almost working but not quite usable. I figured I would donate to the cause and buy the software as its idea is very cool. A year later they still dont have Outlook 2003 working and all I have received in the past 2 weeks is an email asking me to buy Crossover games(obviously where there attention is focused). I thought games was part of what original crossover was supposed to do in the first place??? Now I just got another email today asking me to renew my subscription for crossover...(59.95) I appreciate there effort for more money but all I need them to do is make it so it run Microsoft Outlook 2003. I just went to there website and they have 13 programs that are Gold compatible(which means they actually work). I know they say they have made progress but I haven't seen any in the Office 2003 programs. I think they have lost there opportunity to do something special with Crossover. By the time they get anything working the software will be obsolete.