Is current MB Pro the last one with a disc drive included?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quackington, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Quackington macrumors member

Hi all,

I own a 12" PowerBook from back in the day, which is now about 10 years old and really chugs. I've kept it around for sentimental purposes. I upgraded to a MacBook Air in 2011, but recently came across some periods where i really could have done with a built in disc drive and ethernet port.

Apple seems very keen to move away from discs altogether, so I'm currently pondering whether I should buy the current iteration of the MacBook Pro (non retina), which has a DVD drive. I would sell of my Air if I did.

What do you guys think, is it likely that the next MBP will do away with the disc drive altogether? They've done it on the iMac already.

Thanks.

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Yep. The unibody Pro model looks like the last ones.

But what's wrong with using an external USB DVD drive? I think that's preferable since you have less chances of having to open up the computer when a disc messes the drive up. I have had to ask Apple replace the internal DVD drive in my older MacBooks quite a few time now due to silly disc eject problems.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If you need the ports and optical drive, then yes, I think that would be a good decision.

You can get a Thunderbolt --> 1Gb Ethernet adapter now, but you would still need lug around that optical drive.

I bought a 15" MacBook Pro with SSD and wanted the ports and SuperDrive so I did not get the retina. I also sold the Air due to lack of expandability.

4. StefanYFC macrumors member

I picked up the USB superdrive just in case. I've used it a handful of times but it wasn't completely necessary. I don't think you should buy a laptop based on whether or not there is a disk drive since buying a nice external one from Apple is only $80.

5. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

not worth it. the DVD drive can be purchased separately as an attachment, like a bus power USB dvd drive. if you don't use DVD drive everywhere, all the time, then I'd say its a waste of effort to have it in the system to add weight and hog battery power while on standby.
    furthermore, many peoples are swapping them out for a second hard drive, is just to show how less desirable they are. so if you must have them, then get them as an attachment.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

And you don't need to buy the $80 Apple version, I have a cheepo Manhattan DVD R/W drive I purchased three years ago for $20 that works like a champ. Although I don't get much use for it besides on the windose machine and for burning car radio firmware updates, my daughter regularly uses it on her air to view exercise videos.

7. Quackington thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Most appreciated.

I think I'm still keen to have a notebook with a DVD drive in it. I don't mind the little extra weight.

To the person that recommend the gigabit ethernet adaptor - I know it's not the same, but I have the overpriced (£25) Apple ethernet adaptor for my Air. It's such a temperamental, awful piece of kit. I don't have high hopes for the gigabit one.

I'm not too keen on an external USB drive for this reason. Also, a built in one means not having to lug it around separately.