Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
If something happens to the computer and its not turning on or whatever...is it possible to access the drive to recover important files?

Cheers

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is possible, but you could also invest into a backup strategy, which is cheaper than getting a recovery service.

Example:
I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Flash memory recovery is very trick and expensive. At least with mechanical drives, most of the time, the platters are intact and recovery services just use the platters and recover data.

With SSD's, all data is electronically written to chips and it will be tougher to recover. No moving parts.

I would just move on and start fresh, and as mentioned above, use TimeMachine (at least).

If you do work on your computer, then I would invest in external RAID1 drives.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You can get your data, just plug your hard drive as a slave drive to other computer then copy your data and files from your hard drive to that system.

Not if the drive kicked the bucket ;)

@OP: always back up, and back up redundantly. It does not matter whether you have an SSD, HDD, tape or something else, all storage media fails eventually and redundant backups are the only way to secure your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.