Is Death Imminent? ON/OFF button no longer working on my 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eoind, Jul 13, 2011.

1. eoind macrumors newbie

For the last few weeks, the ON/OFF button on the top of my two year old 3Gs hasn’t been working. I can depress it, but nothing happens, i.e. I can’t power off the phone or turn off the screen. This hasn’t been a problem since I don’t mind the phone staying continually on (and I haven’t taken a flight recently), but I’m afraid of what will happen when I have to leave it unattended for several days next month. During this period it will inevitably shut down due to drain on the battery and I fear I won’t be able to resuscitate it and it will be dead forever.
    Has anyone else come across this problem with the ON/OFF button? Is there any way to power on this phone without the ON/OFF button? If I recall correctly I still need to use the ON/OFF button after reconnecting a completely discharged phone to a power source.
    Is my 3GS phone doomed when I have to leave it for several days next month? Although I’m OK with committing to a new 2 year contract, I was hoping to do so with an iPhone 5. I really don’t want to have to purchase an iPhone 4 so close to it being replaced.
    Thanks for any help.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The obvious short term solution is to leave it plugged in while you're gone.

Longer term, take it in to Apple and see what they say. You may get lucky and they may offer you a replacement for free; if not, you're no worse off then you are now.

3. eoind thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be away from home for 8 days, 5 of which will be backpacking in the mountains. It was during these 5 days I had planned to leave it powered off in the car. I guess that I could leave the phone at home for the full 8 days, but then I know I would miss it dearly for the 2 days between the end of the backpacking and returning home. Never do I crave knowledge about the outside world more than after beign isolated from society for a few days :)