Is descrete graphics soldered to the logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Jun 19, 2014.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi,
    Today I experienced the much feared nvidia graphics problem with the mbp 2011. As I understand it, it is connected to heat - it is working fine again now, but I am expecting it to come back anytime.

It happens so that my logic board was replaced less than a year ago due to a failed mic. So there is warranty on this one part still.

My question: Is the discrete GPU soldered on the logic board - so that I can opt for a replacement?

Morten

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only replacement you can get is a new logic board

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This is true, but also, replacement boards never work, because every single Sandy Bridge board has a manufacturing flaw with the Radeon GPU that causes it to fail.

A replacement board fails within 2-weeks - 3 months.

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

I simply cannot understand that Apple will not stand behind their product! This is a disgrace! My mbp is 2+ years old. It costed nearly 3000 usd. It is ridiculous to expect us to pay that kind of money again, when they will not honor a reasonable request for so many users.

Come on apple!

Morten

6. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Can this really be so? "Everyone"? - or just a high percentage?

If it was next to all, I really believe Apple would have issued a recall.

Morten

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I can confirm that this applies to 99% of people who suffered Radeongate and went for a logic board replacement.

I suffered Radeongate myself.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I feel sorry for you man. I feel your pain. I'm definitely going to get AppleCare after reading so many stories like this.

I think Apple should do better than this. These are expensive machines. The repairs cost a large percentage of the computer itself.

Common sense would tell me to buy a 500 PC and run it to the ground. Then get another one, and when that goes bust, another one, and when that goes bust too, another one.

I'd be covered for at least 15 years for the price of ONE MBPr.

There's no doubt the MBPr is a luxury machine, but boy is it an expensive toy! (for most people i.e. college kids)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not arguing that point, it merely kicks the can down the road. :/

10. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

After reading through some of the other posts and responses in this thread, it sounds like the same kind of issue that the 2006 iMacs experienced. Failing GPU causing issues for the system, issues that are heat aggravated. This happened to most of the 2006 iMacs, including mine. It's a real shame that Apple still has not acknowledged the fact that this is a manufacturing defect, and because of the age of the machines, chances are, they never will. I was able to disable the GPU by removing the .kext file that corresponds to my iMac's GPU from the Extensions folder in the System folder. The problems (distorted graphics, graphical artifacts, freezing, crashing, rebooting, etc) disappear and the computer could be used again, but the system becomes notably slower.

The GPU in pretty much any MacBook is going to be soldered, as it will be in most notebook computers. I'm honestly going to say that, even though you still have warranty on the machine, your best bet is to get a newer MacBook. As someone else mentioned, the replacement logic boards will fail pretty soon as well. This happened with the 2006 iMacs.

11. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I follow these threads because I bought a new, early 2011 17" MBP for my wife in 2012. She uses it almost exclusively as a desktop computer at home, and rarely does any graphic or CPU intensive work that heats it up. She just likes the bigger screen. Obviously there appears to be an above average failure rate with these machines, but I'm sure there are many, many others like her, that have had no issues at all. I wish there were some way of knowing what the true failure rate really is. Fingers crossed. :)

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes it is soldered, just like on about 99% of all laptops sold in the last 10 years.

13. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

What's your source?

How did you get access to Apple's data on logic board replacements?

Can you send it to me please, I'd like to look over the figures.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Source: Friend who works in an AASP in Malaysia.

15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I should point out that in the US, a flat rate repair is only around $350 as long as there's no physical damage or abuse. In the case of my 2010 MBP with switching graphics failure even this was waived- the repair was 6 months after the repair program ended but they fixed it free for "customer satisfaction". They even replaced the battery.

Call AppleCare, they're more than willing to help.

16. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

So can I see the data that says it's confirmed that 99% of worldwide logic board repairs ion this issue result in recurrence of the fault?

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I didn't say worldwide.

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that there's a manufacturing fault. And since these boards are all from the same batch and generation...

The exact fault is the wrong application of thermal paste.

18. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You said this:

That implies worldwide to me. "99% of of people who suffered Radeongate".

Also still waiting for the proof.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can go find your own proof at the 2011 MBP discrete card failure group on FB and also at mbp2011.com

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MR's frontpage has an article stating many 2011 GPUs are failing.

I don't know about 99% for the 2011 MBPs, but its basically that with Apple's prior dGPU fiascos.

In fact looking back through the lens of history we see Apple's track record of discrete GPUs and its not all that stellar :(

21. Lucas Godfrey, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

2011 models didn't have nvidia gpus
    replaced logic board for a failed mic? the mic is a separate component..

22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

2011 models were the only MacBook Pros to use AMD Radeon cards.

23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

24. yjchua95 macrumors 604

25. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

An article on a website is a far cry from someone claiming that he is "confirming" (quote) that "99% of logic board replacements" (quote) due to this issue have a repeat failure.

He then cites his source as an Apple authorised repair tech in a single geographical location.

I'm just wondering how he can can confirm with certainty that 99% of users face this issue after repair. I was just looking for the official figures that he obtained from Apple to prove this.

----------

ahahahahahahaha.

Proof is a Facebook page?

So, you were just bull excrementing then. Gotcha.