Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
Yeah... ADC was DVI, power, USB, and FireWire. It rocked.

But Apple didn't let anyone else use it, so it was virtually worthless.

I really wished Apple did licence ADC to other manufacturers. Then the Cinema Displays wouldn't have such a pain in the arse power supply.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I'm not aware of any ADC monitors that had firewire - I'm pretty sure it only carried power, USB (1.1 only, not USB 2.0), and a DVI signal. I might be wrong about this, though - anybody know of ADC devices with firewire?

At any rate, DisplayPort - even Mini DisplayPort - is the new DVI, and it's here to stay. Now, if the use of VGA long past its obsolescence is anything to go by, people will still be using DVI commonly until we're on the next port up from DisplayPort. That said, improvements from DVI to DisplayPort are much more marginal than the step up from VGA.

Still, you can never be sure. After all, 3D is the next big thing these days, apparently. Who knows?

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
displayport isn't another ADC, but mini displayport kind of is, since the only monitor that uses it is the 24" apple LED, there are monitors out there with regular displayport ports, but there isn't a 'mini displayport->displayport adaptor' that exists as of today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.