Is dotdigitalearth.com a legitimate company?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjw7676, Jun 15, 2008.

1. tjw7676 macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if anyone has done business with www.dotdigitalearth.com The prices are very good, but I am hesitating to buy anything from this place until they get feedback and are proven to be a real company. I checked www.bbb.org and found that they are registered in New Jersey, but that is the most information I have found on them so far. I think $750 for a Dual 2.5ghz G5 sounds like a scam. Any feedback about this place would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

shmells like a scaaaaaaaam.
    run. run far away.

4. keltorsori macrumors regular

From my previous experience troll-hunting, I can tell you the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" is correct about 99.99999% of the time. Spend a little more money and receive peace of mind in return.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Always check the Whois listing. You can see there that the web site was created 12 days ago. Various other references in the listing point to the Netherlands, Denmark, and Malaysia.

Combine that with below-wholesale pricing, and there isn't a red flag big enough to sound an adequate warning.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is superb advice! You can learn a lot by checking Whois to find out who owns a site and what other sites they own!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

8. MerFer macrumors newbie

dotdigitalearth

I was also wondering if dotdigital was legit. I noticed some inconsistencies on the web page such as spelling errors and only two shipping locations mentioned when they said there was three. I run an internet business and I can tell you that when you are starting a web page you will review and review until everything is right.

I sent them an email today regarding a purchase and they said that they can have my products to me in 2 days. That is unheard of in the electronics world. By the way the shipping location is in Massachusetts and I am in North Carolina and its free! Right.

Im going to do some more digging and possibly turn them in to the internet fraud watch. Personally, I would rather spend more money, have peace of mind, and avoid getting ripped off then chance it.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Some senior members have stated why this site isn't even close to legit, your time can most likely be spent elsewhere

10. MerFer macrumors newbie

dotdigitalearth

dont care how many senior members have commented on dotdigitalearth, I will comment on dotdigitalearth if i choose. ALso, you and no one else will tell me how, where, and when to spend my time. If anyone should be more aware of how they spend their time it is you my friend. Perhaps you should stop policing the blogs and get a job or even a hobby.

11. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Lighten up Francis. It was a friendly suggestion that since it has already been established that this site is a scam, you could do something else with your time. What do you have to prove by investigating more? That this is an even bigger scam?

12. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Folks, if you think someone is being a butthead, then report them to the moderators and let them deal with it, that's THEIR job, and THEY have the power to punish/sanction/banish offending posters :p

Or at least PM/EM the offending poster and let them know how you feel.

But don't waste other members time or board space arguing about it within the thread......that doesn't solve anything!

I haven't seen any Mods posting in this thread, yet....

jeez, can't we all just get along? :D

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

WildCowboy is a god, a site admin... if that counts.

But anyway, a mod has now turned up. And I'm clearly saying that let's just calm down. I've deleted some posts and if I see the same names come up again in the future or any further flaming, there'll be hell to pay, dammit. :D

[​IMG]