Is downgrading an option?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by india349, Dec 10, 2007.

1. india349 macrumors member

india349

Hello everyone,

I don't know if you ever feel discouraged or somehow not happy with your current computer. Wanting more, wanting less, or just wanting the satisfaction that you've got reliable software.

I'm currently working with a Rev. A (Core Duo) MacBook 2.0Ghz. And so far, I'm running into more and more problems. I have a huge issue with flickering display, the USB makes a strange beeping when more than one device is plugged in. I already had one HD fail and I'm running on the one that came with it....which happens to be the ill-fated Seagate 7.01...

I'm afraid that my machine is a ticking time-bomb. I'm out of warranty (bought in Oct. 06) and no AppleCare. :(. Part of me wants to downgrade by selling this one eBay and possibly investing in a PowerBook 12"? Am I overreacting? I'm not sure what's the best course of action. I don't use my MacBook for anything other than school, word processing, and internet.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If I were you, I'd sell it pronto, and use the cash to buy a refurbished MacBook. As much as a machine by Apple can be guaranteed to work, a refurbished one will. Nothing good will come from using a damaged machine, and there's no reason to downgrade all the way to a G4 when you could pull enough money to buy a refurbed dual core machine. G4's tend to be overpriced because people think they aren't that different from the new stuff, but it makes more sense to spend $900 on a refurbed Macbook than it does to drop $700-$800 on a three year old Powerbook.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

From what you described it doesn't look good. I would Try and get Rid of it. But don't get a power book get an intel.

4. india349 thread starter macrumors member

india349

Thank you for the rapid responses! What's the best way to go about this? Do I buy and sell via eBay or should I opt for one of Apple's refurbished options? And if I do, I'm pretty sure I should invest in AppleCare this time around.

How much could I get for the current MacBook? I'll probably sell it in January, after the holidays? How much would I lose buying a refurbished MacBook?

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I would sell either on eBay or on Craigslist, and buy either from Apple or another online dealer (Wegener, Mac of all Trades, etc). I wouldn't buy from eBay, as it's far too easy to get ripped off there, and it's much easier to harass a corporation to hold up their end of the deal than it is to go after an anonymous person on eBay who can just disappear. You can probably get at least $600 still from your MB, maybe up to 750. You wouldn't lose anything by buying a refurbed book from Apple besides the shiny new box.

6. india349 thread starter macrumors member

india349

Well, I decided I'll sell it after the holidays on eBay. That'll give me some time to look into other MacBook deals. Hopefully there will be minimal time without a computer. :D

7. india349 thread starter macrumors member

india349

Well, I did it. I bought my refurbished black MacBook Core Duo (splurged a bit) and this time added AppleCare to solve the problem a bit. I haven't sold yet, but once I get everything backed up and onto the new machine, I will do that. Thanks everyone!

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It might be worth trying to sell in time for the holidays. You never know who's looking to pick up a Macbook on the cheap. If it doesn't sell, you can always relist.