Is dragging an application to the 'Trash' uninstalling it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nlivo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

If i want to uninstall an application...is dragging it to the trash the same as uninstalling it? I get the impression that it isn't. What about all the files the app has left behind?

Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Yes for the most part it is. It will leave files in your library though which take up little room and won't affect your Mac. One highly recommended application is AppZapper which will remove everything (with a cool zapping sound)...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AppCleaner does the same thing and it's free.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

Indeed a simple delete sufficies, but if you want to be exhaustive..

Deleting the application normally will delete the application. But there are exceptions.

If you think, or have a hunch, that the application runs in the back-ground, you may have to do a more complete uninstall. Normally the readme on the installer that came with the application will guide you thru this.

Have a peek at your account preferences, login items tab. This may give some useful indications on whether the applications is stand-alone or not.

Sometimes apps have a preference pane. You would, in all logic, want to delete this also. Select delete normally suffices in preferences pane.

If your application in web centric, you may wish to look at the keychain application to remove any information there that relates to your application or the web account it uses.

Also, don't forget the preferences file in [library/preferences].

Some application suites (like Adobe) have shared services. Delete the shared service only if no other applications of the suite remain.