Is drobo right for me?...Or other External HD Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peeaanuut, Sep 12, 2008.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

My set-up consists of this:

C2d Mini
    500GB Time Capsule
    various external drives of varying size.

I also have to WD MyBooks that have died and I am certain it is just the power supply. I am quickly running out of space and need a better solution.

So I am thinking of this. Use the 500GB on the Time Capsule as my time machine back-up of the 80GB drive in the Mini as well as the 250GB drive in my new Macbook. Neither of those drives are full so the 500GB in that drive are more than enough for my needs there.

But I have an ever growing iTunes/Media collection (doesnt everyone?) and want a better solution.

So, could I take the 2 drives out of the dead MyBooks and drop them into the Drobo. Both are S-ATA, one is 750gb and one is 250gb. I would probably just get the USB 2 version since that is what the Time capsule supports. Than of course I could expand the 2 additional ports later on. I would put all the media onto the drobo and eliminate any of the external drives that sit near the Mini and clean off the desk. The TC sits across the room in an out of the way place.

Does this sound like a doable process or am I mistaken and the Drobo is only good for back-up duty?

My other thought is to get some of the NewerTech miniStack enclosures and chain them underneath the TC.

Which would be a better solution?

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I'd still go with Drobo Ver 2. I have the original and it's slow on my network. I like it, but it's not the fastest NAS in town. Mac to Mac to Mac transfers are at least 3 times faster than ones involving Drobo/Droboshare. I've also used connected to a PC via USB and I still find it to be slower than other drives.

3. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

I have heard that from others. So my final question is, will the drobo on a time capsule going to be fast enough for media serving? It would mainly have to go to my :apple:TV but would also have to go to a Mini and my blackbook.

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

That depends. Should be fine as long as you are not trying to stream 1080p content to a couple different devices at the same time. Streaming to one device at a time should OK

5. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah usually to a single source at a time.

Thanks for the input. Gonna have to get that ordered up.