Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
In trying to learn about Dropbox I found a book on OSX 10.5/6. It sounded as though Dropbox was a paid storage site. So, I thought maybe it was something that came in with Lion. Did it?

Also, where can a beginner learn how to use it?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Dropbox works across MacOS X, iOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and Blackberry. Currently, your first 3.5 GB of storage are free. If you need more than 3.5 GB of storage, then you must pay. Your data reside in a local folder on each system on which you have the Dropbox client installed and linked. Your data are also stored on Dropbox's server. When you change data in your Dropbox folder on one device, the change is synchronized across all devices and the Dropbox server. You may access your data on the server by logging into your account on the Dropbox website. As with other filesharing sites, you may share a file in your Dropbox folder by sending the file's Dropbox website URL to those with whom you share.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In trying to learn about Dropbox I found a book on OSX 10.5/6. It sounded as though Dropbox was a paid storage site. So, I thought maybe it was something that came in with Lion. Did it?

Also, where can a beginner learn how to use it?

The Dropbox service launched in 2008. This page will explain what it is and how it works. It did not come with Lion. It is a separate storage/file sync service run by an outside company (nothing to do with Apple).

I think what you are seeing in those older books is a reference to a folder in OS X called "dropbox" that was used to share files between user accounts. This folder has nothing to do with the Dropbox service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.