Is Dust Under Screen and Two Dead Pixels Enough Reason for an Exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maddan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. maddan macrumors regular

I have both problems, which indicate poor construction. It really bothers me , as when I look at it from under the sun, the piece of dust distracts me from whatever I'm doing, and the dead pixels only detract from the screen's beauty. I have taken care of the iPhone 3G 100%, I have had it for a week, and there is not a scratch on the chrome or on the plastic back. Should I exchange it and get a new iPhone 3G? I have the black 16GB model.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It never hurts to try, but there are never any guarantees. It varies largely based upon the individual genius that takes your case. Good luck!

4. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

I am exchanging it through Apple's Advance Replacement program. I just have not made up my mind yet about paying the $30 to exchange an iPhone because of Apple's fault. The nearest Apple Store to me is about 1hr 10min away, so... I won't be seeing a Genius anytime soon.

5. aphexii macrumors 6502

6. docprego macrumors 65816

Wouldn't it be better to take the drive and be able to ensure in person that the replacement is good? Think about it, if the replacement they give you in store is bad you can swap again on the spot. With the replacement program you are out $30 and don't know what you will get. Besides an hour and 10 minute drive is only about 3 gallons of gas or approximately $10 depending on where you live.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Where you located? I'll send a limo...LOL :D You should just drive the 1 hour and 10 minutes, b/c $30 for a service that shouldn't CHARGE the customer, is for the birds...:mad:

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I say it depends on what kind of car you have.

2 hour 30 minute drive = ~120 miles = 5 gallons of gas = $20...and waste of time. I wouldn't do it for principle alone.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

ok, but its not 2:30 away...its like 1:10 mins...(the : means hours in this lol)

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Uhh...you do have to come back, right? I rounded it up to 2:30.