Is EA desperate enough?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Nov 13, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I knew EA loved money, but I never thought they would release 16 DLC items for a game that isn't released yet! And is this even DLC? Or is it some pay to unlock early stuff?

Anyway, I won't be buying this game. Just found it funny. Did anyone else notice this?

Oh... and that total cost is $66.25 for all these cheats.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/11/13/playstation-store-update-60/#more-3411

Well. Whatever sucker buys this stuff is just feeding EA. I hope the Mirror's Edge DLC isn't this expensive.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i HATE that practice. when i buy a game, it should include everything

3. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the thing... the game must include this stuff. Each download has no description and is 100kb. It's an unlock (which I believe is for stuff you can unlock for free if you actually try).

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm pretty sure EA Sports does this in their sports games as well. (Tiger Woods I think)

Seeing that everything is unlockable by playing the game, I don't really have a problem with EA doing this. I just feel sorry for people who are stupid/lazy enough to pay for it.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some games though you have to buy cars or whatnot that arent in the game originally. i think pgr3 was like that

i dont care if i have to unlock them but to buy additional content that you cant get otherwise is not cool

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I ragged on the EA dude when I went to the NFS focus test that in-game it asks me if I wanted to use MS points to buy upgrades.

I mean, you don't HAVE to do it, and it's there for people who just wanna play very casually and drive a Porsche around from the get go... but still, that crap used to be FREE now they want us to pay?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do not like this practice. I'm following Valve's route and will be delivering free DLC when my games done :3

8. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I can't believe EA sometimes....

If they could charge you for the guns in battlefield they would.

hell, if they could get hold of your console/computer they'd make it coin operated.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So what? Yes it's expensive and a ridiculous prospect but so ?

Having checked this out on PSN it looks like all the stuff you can buy, excluding the collectors edition content can be unlocked by simply playing the game.

Not sure why they can call this 'additional' content or an 'add on' then, however if people with bad taste (those who buy NFS games) wish to be even more insane and buy these downloads to unlock content for a game they can't be bothered to play to unlock (probably a good choice seeing as though NFS games are generally *****) then why not charge them ?

You pay's your money and you take your choice......

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Battlefield Bad Company
    Dead Space
    Mirror's Edge

....I fully support whatever EA does form now on...The Riggz approves:p;)

Bless

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

This is not EA's fault, this is the fault of the dumb asses who let publishers squeeze every last dollar out of them by paying $5 dollars for a texture or to unlock content.

If customers were still smart they'd say no to this kind of stuff and would not buy DLC but they do... so it's a smart business choice to keep releasing payed DLC.

This is another thing that's killing the industry, developers not supporting their games with juicy add-ons even after they are released, Burnout Paradise is still updated with free content but most publishers ask stupid prices for really small stuff.

12. Macjames macrumors 6502a

"Battlefield Bad Company
    Dead Space
    Mirror's Edge

....I fully support whatever EA does form now on"

Don't get me wrong those games have fully changed my perspective on EA (especially mirrors edge which i have just finished and loved) as a company but whether or not it lasts is another thing. Or if they fall back on there two strategies, last years game with this years number, or lets release another will wright (maxis) game with updated graphics but all the content we provided in the last gazillion expansion packs has gone, and guess what you have to buy them all again!

"This is not EA's fault" i think it is, they have the power to stop but their unquestionable thirst to deny our wallets of money is legendary.

And besides bad company and mirrors edge are from dice and thats just one company under EA, it really makes you see their lost potential.

Small victories i say, great now but how will it change the big picture? Are we going to see a new EA or have they added more cows to the herd just waiting to be milked.

Edit: wow don't get me started on EA (Nintendo for that matter too) i could go on forever, it all started with the playstation one, i mean who follows up goldeneye with the monstrosity that was tomorrow never dies. Talk about killing your companies rep, only now in my eyes they have redeemed themselves and it sure as hell took long enough.

13. macfan881 macrumors 68020

i only buy DLC if it actaully Dramasticly improves the game "Well except for the lbp dlc heh ;) " but yeah some of that stuff is kinda crazy the only dlc ive bought was the warhawk stuff wich improved the game Dramaticly the new maps are great. although i give Burnout credit for adding the new Content free.