Is each Siri different?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rangrbob, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rangrbob macrumors member

I'm new to Siri upgraded from a 4 and now have it on my iPad. I thought it was interesting that each one sounds a little different and even pronounces words differently. My iPad will say kinda (kind-a) and my phone says (kin-da). Just odd.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Siri is tied to the operating system. There may be some differences with iOS6.

3. rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Mine used to say Chang as "Chahng" but now says it with a long 'a'. Wonder if its part of the learning capabilities of the AI?

5. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Have you checked the language localization? Might be some different pronunciations in the software depending in that.

6. rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

Yes, They are both on English US. I only noticed because I exchanged my original iPhone 5. I noticed that siri seemed a bit more robotic than on the older 5. When I got the first one it matched my iPad's tone and speech patterns this one doesn't. Maybe she's mad at me for exchanging her.

7. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Weird... I noticed that Siri on iOS 6 does sound a bit more robotic than on 5.1.1 but not sure how two devices on the same software would have different quirks.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, she doesn't sound quite as sexy. :(

Lol

9. darster Suspended

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

My Siri seems to have some psychiatric issues. It will change pronunciations of words but with the same spelling. i will say "Call Name A." Siri will respond, "I can't find Name A but would you like me to call Name A?"

What is shown on the screen is the same name both times but, for some reason, Siri pronounces the first time differently than the second time.

I've had this happen several times. It gets a little annoying because I do this dance with Siri getting it to acknowledge a name, a song, an artist, etc. while all the time the written form on the screen is the same as the challenge but the spoken is different.

11. rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

Even on my original 5 she would pronounce "kinda" correctly. I'm trying to say the word over and over again to see if she learns.

12. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Just checked mine and it pronounces "kinda" correctly. Freaky!

13. GeneKam macrumors regular

Is Siri ties to phone or apple ID? So like learning capability is passé I from device to device or not.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

See, she's learning! :p

15. rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

She knew who I was on my phone without even telling her. I assumed she got that info from my iPad.

16. Mliii, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've had this happen as well. And I've told her to call my son and she will tell me she's sorry she can't find my son, but when I tell her x is my son, she tells me she already knows that x is my son...

17. rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

I think she is trying to drive me crazy. Went to show someone today, and compare mine to theirs. This time she says it correctly.

18. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

lol

19. jj47 macrumors regular

I'm glad that in the UK we have the male Siri voice. It's like having a butler haha

20. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

21. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Brilliant!
    Something else I did that had me wondering about Siri- and it was posted on another thread somewhere.
    I switched from my US English voice to Australian English and then back again.
    When i went back to US English, she sounded a bit more 'robotic' for a while. Someone posted that Siri doesn't like to be jilted for another version, and I started to believe that just *might* be true!:)

22. famerdave macrumors member

What is the difference between the Siri voice, and the Voice control voice? I swear that "Samantha" on mac is Voice Control, not Siri. Anyone thought about this?