Is each Siri different?

rangrbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I'm new to Siri upgraded from a 4 and now have it on my iPad. I thought it was interesting that each one sounds a little different and even pronounces words differently. My iPad will say kinda (kind-a) and my phone says (kin-da). Just odd.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Mine used to say Chang as "Chahng" but now says it with a long 'a'. Wonder if its part of the learning capabilities of the AI?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Have you checked the language localization? Might be some different pronunciations in the software depending in that.

rangrbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Have you checked the language localization? Might be some different pronunciations in the software depending in that.
Yes, They are both on English US. I only noticed because I exchanged my original iPhone 5. I noticed that siri seemed a bit more robotic than on the older 5. When I got the first one it matched my iPad's tone and speech patterns this one doesn't. Maybe she's mad at me for exchanging her.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Weird... I noticed that Siri on iOS 6 does sound a bit more robotic than on 5.1.1 but not sure how two devices on the same software would have different quirks.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
My Siri seems to have some psychiatric issues. It will change pronunciations of words but with the same spelling. i will say "Call Name A." Siri will respond, "I can't find Name A but would you like me to call Name A?"

What is shown on the screen is the same name both times but, for some reason, Siri pronounces the first time differently than the second time.

I've had this happen several times. It gets a little annoying because I do this dance with Siri getting it to acknowledge a name, a song, an artist, etc. while all the time the written form on the screen is the same as the challenge but the spoken is different.

rangrbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Weird... I noticed that Siri on iOS 6 does sound a bit more robotic than on 5.1.1 but not sure how two devices on the same software would have different quirks.
Even on my original 5 she would pronounce "kinda" correctly. I'm trying to say the word over and over again to see if she learns.

rangrbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Is Siri ties to phone or apple ID? So like learning capability is passé I from device to device or not.
She knew who I was on my phone without even telling her. I assumed she got that info from my iPad.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
My Siri seems to have some psychiatric issues. It will change pronunciations of words but with the same spelling. i will say "Call Name A." Siri will respond, "I can't find Name A but would you like me to call Name A?"

What is shown on the screen is the same name both times but, for some reason, Siri pronounces the first time differently than the second time.

I've had this happen several times. It gets a little annoying because I do this dance with Siri getting it to acknowledge a name, a song, an artist, etc. while all the time the written form on the screen is the same as the challenge but the spoken is different.
I've had this happen as well. And I've told her to call my son and she will tell me she's sorry she can't find my son, but when I tell her x is my son, she tells me she already knows that x is my son...

Last edited:

rangrbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I think she is trying to drive me crazy. Went to show someone today, and compare mine to theirs. This time she says it correctly.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
I'm glad that in the UK we have the male Siri voice. It's like having a butler haha

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
So, Siri is gaslighting you? :)
Brilliant!
Something else I did that had me wondering about Siri- and it was posted on another thread somewhere.
I switched from my US English voice to Australian English and then back again.
When i went back to US English, she sounded a bit more 'robotic' for a while. Someone posted that Siri doesn't like to be jilted for another version, and I started to believe that just *might* be true!:)

famerdave

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
What is the difference between the Siri voice, and the Voice control voice? I swear that "Samantha" on mac is Voice Control, not Siri. Anyone thought about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.