Is each Snow Leopard disc unique? Do they require a serial # of some sort?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XxRockstarxX, Jan 2, 2011.

1. XxRockstarxX macrumors newbie

My dvd drive is messed up and I am going to ship it to apple and was wondering if they can tell that i have a bootleg OS X Snow Leopard? If they can tell, do you think they would care?
    Thanks

2. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that the ones that come with your computer are unique to that machine- a new disk with the OS on it is only £20 and well worth the piece of mind (assuming you're able to get your data onto the drive with a legit OS installed that is)

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I don't think they rally care as long as you paid for the hardware, or did you make that yourself?

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think they didn't put any kind of system to identify the discs. I mean, they do not evrn require serial numbers in the first place, piracy is not their top priority.

5. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I always thought the OS X disc that came with a Mac was specific to that model of Mac.

I've never heard of OS X installations/discs having unique identifiers.

Can anyone confirm this?

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The DVDs that come with the Mac, yes, are coded to only work on that specific model such as MacMini4,1.

Apple does however sell a generic install DVD, which will work on any compatible machine (assuming the version on the disc is not older than what came with the machine).

The latter is likely the source of the "bootleg" copy.

And no, there are no unique identifiers (that we know of) that leave traces as to the source. Nor are there any serials, even if there were, the only way to really prevent repeat use would be to have an activation scheme.

The only OS Apple sells that has a serial is OS X Server, but even that serial could be used more than once as there is no activation.

7. XxRockstarxX thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys and yeah i was talking about a bootleg upgrade disc. ( i have the legit installation leopard discs and used the bootleg snow leopard to upgrade)

8. filmweaver macrumors regular

People have been sued and lost thousands for a few .99 cent song copies, a 29 dollar disk seems like cheap insurance to me. Unless you like BUBBA or want to be his wife!