Is "ecomElectronics" legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greeneggs28, Feb 4, 2008.

1. greeneggs28 macrumors newbie

greeneggs28

I have been looking around online for some deals on a MBP, 15' w/ 2.4. I am leaning toward a refurb from Apple, but I've come across this site called ecomElectronics. They claim to sell "new" MBP's for $2099. Any one purchased from them before? Are they legit? They don't even add taxes on purchases outside of N.Y. This sounds too good to be true... Advice please?

2. Alias macrumors member

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Look into other reviews done by the reviewers

Warning!! Warning!!

The reviewers all have only one review under their belt, that of ecomelectronics. The same is true if you look at resellerratings.com.

I find it highly doubtful that they could actually be selling a Macbook at this price since Apple controls the pricing of their new computers rather tightly. Or Apple would stop selling them machines for resale.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That MBP is 1850 on eBay from a reputable dealer ;)

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

That sounds like too good of a deal. I do lot's of reading over at dpreview.com and they talk a lot about the dealers in NYC who sell you a camera really cheap but they take it out of the box and give you just the camera and then want to "upsell" you for all of the other items from the box like the battery, manual, strap, etc. Be careful this is not one of those situations.... It sounds too good to be true.