Is Edge fast enough for Slingbox media?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone envy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. iPhone envy macrumors member

I know (or think I know) that Slingbox currently isn't iPhone compliant. I would think that would be something that would get addressed this year with the SDK as iPhones are probably the second most ideal platform for Sling media next to laptops.

That being said, I really want to use a sling player with an iPhone, and wonder if Edge data network would be fast enough for the sling-player. Or if 3G would be a requirement for non WiFi access. Anyone know?

If Edge isn't fast enough, I will hold off on getting an iPhone for just a bit longer so that I can potentially use a sling player.

2. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

I highly doubt it, though someone else might know I find it pretty slow opening webpages even.. So streaming content would not seem like a good fit..

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

It would have to be highly buffered. Or, you could have it automatically tell when you're on edge, and send lower-quality video over, just like youtube does and the Apple Trailers page does. The quality it not great this way IMHO, but it does in fact send video over edge.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

People who've tried Slingbox over EDGE say it's pretty unwatchable with all the stops and starts. Besides, the agreement with most carriers does not allow constant streaming media.

I bought an old WM phone with WiFi and headphones for $40 off eBay, just for my wife to watch her shows off our Slingbox while our five year old watches her cartoons in the same room. The phone part is turned off. I keep a spare battery (~$7) charged up so I can swap if needed.

I'd love to have Sling for my iPod Touch over WiFi. I suspect they'll have to keep the video resolution down to 320x240-ish to make it work best.

5. iPhone envy thread starter macrumors member

Would 3G be fast enough then?

So sounds like no to EDGE, but that WiFi is fast enough. Would 3G be fast enough for sling media, or would one still really need to use WiFi?

I imagine being at a game, or someplace that isn't a hotspot, and wanting to access the TV broadcast for replays and commentary (in an ideal world).

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

The crappy quality of youtube on edge is enough for me to never use it. That, coupled with if you are watching something while on edge, you wouldn't get any calls, so what's the point?

Now 3G is a whole different ball game. You can stream video on 3G. And you wouldn't miss calls either.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The minimum bandwidth required for SlingPlayer Mobile for other smartphones is 120Kbps. I'd imagine this would be the case for the iPhone as well. Speeds with EDGE can vary anywhere from as low as 40Kbps all the way up to 220Kbps. So yes it would work if you had a good signal and were stationary, but moving around would probably cause the stream to drop too much.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True, the mobile minimum is 120 Kbps, but I don't believe it looks really good until you get around 300 Kbps.

Many people Sling over EVDO. Not more than about 36 hours a month though, so as to avoid Verizon's 5GB (was 4GB) monthly limit.

I believe AT&T has a similar limit, or at least a similar contract that prohibits using 3G for sending video.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

10. cparkphoto macrumors member

3G would definitely be fast enough for slingbox. I use mine all the time on my macbook pro with my verizon evdo card. Over Rev A EVDO the quality can be excellent! Even hooked the laptop up to a 37inch lcd at a tradeshow during nfl playoffs and it looked great. In a much lower resolution for the iphone 3G would be great for slingbox. This is definitely my number one request as far as 3rd party apps go. Being able to pull up your DVR while on a stationary bike at the gym would be awesome.

11. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline