Is EFI updates is included in mac osx updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shandidy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Shandidy macrumors newbie

i wonder if the efi updates is part of the os update or not, dose any body know?

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

No they aren't. You must separately install them.

Edit I was apparently wrong. I had to install Thunderbolt update and 10.6.8 separately when I got my MBP. I am sorry for the confusion.

3. OskarLGS macrumors newbie

OskarLGS

All EFI updates in Intel based Macs, and Firmware updates in PowerPC Macs, are included on Software Update.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OP, since the question was slightly unclear, let me clarify (both previous posters were correct, btw). Software Update will download and install the EFI firmware updates, though you usually will have to go through the actual install process manually after it downloads them, but it will automatically launch the updater. This is because EFI updates require a restart into the special mode that is used to update the EFI. OS X updates (such as 10.6.x or 10.7.x) do not contain the EFI updates, although they may be downloaded at the same time.

jW

5. Shandidy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guy for all your help, after i posted this thread, my macbook was downloading efi update 2.2:D, so yeah osx updates includes efi updates i didn't know that, thanks guys for the info. :)