Is email only for old people?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/dec/06/digitalcommunication

I'm 44 (therefore old) and am hardly in touch with what 18 year olds think about these things... I'm not a great fan of texting because I haven't yet found a phone that lets me do it quickly and easily... or even lets me write clearly and concisely.

I DNT KNW. WHT DO U THNK? IS EMAIL ONLY FR OLD PPL? ;)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I hardly use e-mail...its a mix between MSN and Facebook messaging, but it certainly has its uses...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't use IM myself, I send a few texts but more emails probably.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't use it a whole lot, but i do use it. i don't think it's just for old people, it's just not as big as it used to be

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

pretty much spot on
    i only use email if i

a.) have to send a file
    b.) work, in my case university to contact professors and their assistants

and add to that only receiving in the case of
    c.) receiving notifications: macrumors ;) , studivz.net .... which is like a german facebook for students
    d.) receiving newsletters from apple, amazon

i have sent 8 emails in the last 2 weeks

i send more messages per ICQ before noon

oh and thanks to apple i don't use the keyboard on my phone i connect to my phone using bluetooth in the address book and write from there with the apple keyboard... works quite nice but i'm hoping apple is improving those features more (how about multi-part text messages .. those have been standard for some time now)
    especially interesting now that i have a 1000 free txt contract

instant messenger has been dominating for me since around '98 since i installed ICQ 98 when i was 15

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe I'm old, I'm 30, but my 24 year old husband isn't yet considered old and we email while he's at work all the time. I also communicate with my family in different countries, and thus different time zones, via email.

It's only punkass kids whose mommies and daddies bankroll their silly txt rulz lives that think email is only for old people. LOLz pwned OMGWTFBBQ?!11!onetwofu

oh punkass kids and bluetools ;)

signed,

possibly old and definitely cantankerous

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Since getting my Mac I've used email so much more. A much less cumbersome task than using Outlook and cluttered rubbish like that.

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

it's not hard to see how IM and text would grab the extremely limited attention spans of the brainless turds who pass for the yoof of this country, given that you can now send large files across an IM connection and everybody and his aunt has 1000000000Gbt broadband.

However, I hate what it's doing to the language, if I see one more txt spk spelling in an academic submission some bast*rd is in for a really miserable christmas.

Grumpy? You betcha.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The bad news is that Apple have removed it completely from Leopard.

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

who you calling old?
    my 3 yr old son has email! :cool:

11. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Email definitely has its "business like" uses. I use it for registering for sites, receiving newsletters, notifications, receipts, and even for telling me when someone has sent a PM or comment and to go there and read it (ironically)

It also has its place for conversations within business, as it's the most professional solution.

Not to forget the important, must-see information from people wishing to enlarge my penis :rolleyes:

That said, I can't remember the last time I held a social conversation over email, especially with the younger generation. Depends who I'm talking to but it's generally either SMS, a messageboard I run for a few friends, Bebo or other social networking sites, or in-game communication. I don't go in for instant messengers much nowadays as I have too many people on there who expect instant and undivided attention... 99% of the time I'm on the computer I'm occupied with something and not just there for idle and frankly mind-numbing "hi how are you" chit chat.

12. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My favorite post in a long while!

You get txt spk in your university papers as well? I once yelled at a student for text messaging during a lecture and he said that he was simply taking notes. I can't imagine twiddling my fingers that quickly rather than simply writing with a pencil or pen.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

huh ? anybody knows why ? it has easily become my favorite feature the last few months and anybody i showed it to was impressed how easy it worked

edit:
    looks like they are still advertising with the functionality :rolleyes:
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/wireless.html

great apple really great ...

is it at least possible to somehow install the old adressbook in leopard ? because otherwise i won't be upgrading the OS or even upgrade my old g4 mini anytime soon until such a crucial feature is put back in

14. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I don't know. My type is probably not in the majority when it comes to my peer group (25-35), but I use e-mail more than any of the "newer" of the new media. There's something far too superficial and frivolous about Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/SMS-type communication, which seems best suited for coordinating plans ("Party at my house!") or giving brief updates en masse ("I'm on the toilet!"). My personal preference when it comes to communication is for sustained dialogues with a bit of thought and substance to them. So, yeah, I guess that puts me in a very small and vanishing minority.

Each form of communication has its place (I frequently use IM for anything from quick chats to discussions about current events), but I don't think e-mail is any more passé than, say, books.

Is e-mail just for old people, then? No. Is it only "old" (read: folks who don't cling to social trends) people who seem to use it? Probably.

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I lecture in Music tech, which means they all have laptops, mainly Apple, and quite a few choose to video the lectures. I've long been used to the tapping of keyboards in lectures.

Never seen anyone taking notes via a phone though, wouldn't that just be too hard?

I'm a great advocate of tech in Universities, I run video conference tutorials, we have forums and podcasts, virtual tours of studios and software, it's all good. However it's still a University and you will write in English!!!.

I've started getting IM comms from students too, but I won't use it for anything other that simple questions as I have no idea who I'm talking to.

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Our corporate networks are locked tight, so no IM here. I don't have a compelling reason to use it at home either.

I use Texting on occassion, but mostly email or a phone conversation.

Text Messaging is much bigger overseas than it is here in the US. I think the text plans (cost) here are the limiting factor.

I guess the older you get, the less dynamic your lifestyle becomes. You settle down, get a more permanent place to live, fall into a predictable pattern, so its no all that difficult to track you down.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Most of my friends keep in touch via Facebook rather than email. It seems more convenient. It's free, accessible from (almost) any internet-enabled computer, it employs a universal format and layout, and it doesn't have many ads. I use email for work but rarely for keeping in touch.

18. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Now I love the phone... I'd rather use the phone for so much, because it's far easier to convey so many things quickly and to also get a reading on the true emotional tone of an issue. I also use the internal phone in the office a lot more than my colleagues because the typical internal email exchange might go something like this:

>Colleague: BV, what/how/when can I get this done?
    >BV: What exactly do you need, and how many do you need? When do I get the final copy for your flyer/poster/display piece/publication?
    >Colleague: I'm not sure what you mean by xxxx
    > BV: xxxx means this or that etc. Also, don't forget to tell me what your budget is.
    > Colleague: Budget? I'll have to come back to you.
    > BV: Please do so before tomorrow morning.
    > Colleague: Ah, OK... thanks.

Which can all be done and dusted within a minute by phone...

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For any sort of organising, I find a phone much cheaper than texting too.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

I have a strong dislike for speaking on phones!

Texting is the main method for me, but I always use proper English.

21. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I pretty much only use email when signing up for web services. I've signed up for so many it's not even funny. I tend to use IM a lot more than email, but then again I don't have a mobile phone yet (the irony).

22. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Have you logged on to facebook in the last three months??? It's one big ad! :D

I'm 24 and my main forms of communication are e-mail and the phone. Back when I was in undergrad, the majority of my friends were on AIM, but it's really rare to find any of them on there these days (and only a few have switched to Google Talk, none to MSN). Texting's good for the random urgent message, and facebook's good for the random classmate who's contact information I don't have (or for organizing events).

But seriously, what's wrong with picking up the phone?

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Email has a lot of uses, particularly for contacting businesses and people who you are not generally in communication with. However, I'm 23 and only send about one social email a month.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm a huge fan of e-mail. Whether or not I'm old is a matter of opinion. Texts are fun. One month I can send a gang of texts, the next month I don't. I guess it depends on who I can hook into my web-o-texts. ;) That said, texting doesn't get everything out I want to say. I'm good at it, great on the iPhone even, but still, e-mail is where I just lay it all out.

I have far too much to say to leave it with just a text. Now with the iPhone looking like iChat I run into the problem of people telling me they're getting two, three, four texts from me in a single second due to their phones having to break them up! Talk about charges adding up when you think you sent one but it counts as four!

Either way, I don't IM much because I have like 2 people on my buddy list and one of them is someone I talk to on the phone more often than write and the other I write a lot. It's just how it seems to go for me.

What's for old people? The written word. Nowadays if I'm trying to impress someone I'll get out a sheet of stationary (yes I own stationary) and write a little note. It always feels 1000 times more personal.

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I have also heard that in the US, kids prefer IM and only use email for old people or business.

What happens when this generation of kids is running the corporations? I say they will adopt IM and email will be a thing of the past.