Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
I'm thinking about putting myb 7200rpm 100GB harddrive into an eSATA enclosure and connect it to my MbP through the expresscard slot. I know that FW or USB have bus speeds below the HD speed (Mbit/s), how about eSATA? Would an external harddrive connected through eSATA be as fast as the same internal HD ?

Thanks for your help! ;-)

n0d3

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2006
The drive is the bottleneck in most cases.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apiotek/EC0003D/

I'm using the one above and it works fine, no panics no nothing. Just had to update the firmware via Windows the first time I bought it, not sure if the ones shipping have been updated.

From what I've read, the one you've listed works as well, might want to Google a bit more though.

Tomaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Switzerland
The drive is the bottleneck in most cases.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apiotek/EC0003D/

I'm using the one above and it works fine, no panics no nothing. Just had to update the firmware via Windows the first time I bought it, not sure if the ones shipping have been updated.

From what I've read, the one you've listed works as well, might want to Google a bit more though.

Thanks for the link, I just ordered one ! ;-)

n0d3

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2006
Thanks, great review!

I have no clue if my enclosure supports 3GhZ or just 1.5GhZ, but apparently even the slower enclosure was faster than your internal HD, is that correct? So the internal was 5400rpm and the external 7200rpm ?

Yup thats right, there shouldn't be much difference between 3Ghz and 1.5Ghz since the bottle neck is with the 7200rpm drives...unless you're using the faster 10krpm WD Raptors.

The external drive was definitely faster than the internal one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.