Is everyone's rMBP as smooth as this guy's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Textureboy, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JtAMwB1P9Y

His rMBP is very smooth and I want to know if everyone's just as smooth? Everything's fast and smooth on clean install, but after I add things it becomes very laggy.

2. rikbrown macrumors regular

No and yes. For the things he's doing on screen there - couple of windows open, scrolling Safari, watching a movie - sure, it's as smooth. You'd expect a £2000 laptop to be.

But, try resizing windows full of content. Or opening a folder on the dock. Or toggling expose with more than a couple of windows open. Lag. Stutters. It's pretty disappointing. If I plug in my external display and drag the windows onto that, suddenly no lag or stuttering - so the machine/graphics card is powerful enough, it's just working very badly on the retina display.

I solved it by switching my resolution to an eye-searing 2880x1800 (full res without scaling). Everything is a little too small, but it is super smooth and behaves how an expensive laptop should!

3. Textureboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Textureboy

No way, full res no scaling is actually smoother? I would have thought it would have made it laggier haha. I have never tried using it on an external monitor yet, but atm ,my 1650x1080 monitor resolution looks so horrible in my eyes LOL

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you keep things at "optimized for Retina Display" level on Mac OS X 10.8.1, everything becomes smoother... by a huge margin. Though you'll still see the occasion graphics glitches.

5. tau101 macrumors member

Mine's that smooth on the highest resolution setting. And, by the way, once you've used this setting for a while and gotten used to it, there is no going back :)

6. Cassadian macrumors regular

I disagreed with Anandtech's response that the hardware wasn't ready for the retina. That's completely not true and at this time our modern GPU's especially the one in the Retina can handle refreshing millions of pixels. It's the software that's causing the lag and not the hardware.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I completely agree. The only issues I have is very very slight browsing lag here and there and the annoying black screen if I don't use auto login.

8. Drask macrumors regular

Mine is smooth at any resolution while the discrete gpu is activated. While in 1920x1200 and integrated on, it lags, I fixed this by going into a 2d dock. Smooth in every single way.

And I really love the 1920x1200 resolution on this machine.

9. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I wonder if it would be noticebly faster compared to the cMBP, using it in clamshell mode with an external monitor because of the oc'd graphics-card?

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

the rmbp is quite obviously slower in general UI slickness compared to non-retina machines. thats just how it is. anyone who actually owns one and any other semi-modern macbook can tell the difference.

11. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I played with the $2,199 model at an Apple Store recently, running 10.8.1 - and the lag was terrible. Scrolling the Projects window in Aperture was laggy, opening photos was slow, and scrolling in Mail actually caused the whole application to freeze mid-scroll for ten seconds. The machine was running at "best for retina display". It felt like I was running my five year old MacBook Pro, which has me wondering why I'd pay to replace my computer with one that feels just as slow.

12. stevelam macrumors 65816

just to be clear, in apple retail stores theres apparently some software on the machines that causes extra slowdown.

but you're right about working with large images in aperture and other applications. panning them is definitely jerky and annoying.

13. bogatyr macrumors 65816

My experience with it in store is that it was the same as running my MBA 2011 with a Thunderbolt display. Nothing big, fairly smooth. Did not run Aperture though.

14. Textureboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I believe its software as well, because I hid the dock and transitioned windowed and I notice no lag. Doesn't make sense for dock to create as much lag, unless my lack of software knowledge is wrong LOL

15. area5x1 macrumors newbie

One thing with that video:

It's at 30fps, which makes everything look smoother than it actually is

16. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I would say after the update to Mountain Lion mine was very smooth on the "Best for Retina" but i run it at the higest scale option, so i upgraded it to 10.8.1 and it became more smoother! :) But now i upgraded it to 10.8.2 and now it runs smooth, i dont see any lag anymore i just love it! :D

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Err, what?

18. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm not sure you understand how screen recording works.

19. leman macrumors 604

My rMBP is as smooth as any other computer I have used. Yes, there is lag on websites like The Verge (but this is by no means exclusive to the rMBP) and resizing applications like App Store is very sluggish (but its the same on any other Mac I tried this). As far as UI responsiveness goes, I can't tell any difference from either my 2009 MBP or my former 2011 iMac.

20. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement :p

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes, my rMBP is as smooth as the one in the linked video. Partly because that's mine :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1395554

Cool to see it being linked to!

Uhh, no. If anything, the fact that I was recording at 30fps makes it look less smooth than it actually is.