Is EyeTV (2008) sufficient?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paulyboy, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

I have the original EyeTV USB and the software that came with it is upgraded as far as it can go (version 1.8.6). The thing is around 8 years old and still works so I got my moneys worth out of it. However, I'm very close to purchasing one of those Quad-core iMacs and I heard, in another thread elsewhere, that any of the Eye TV software below version 3 won't function in SL. So I guess it's time to finally upgrade.

While I could just buy the newest EyeTV software I'm thinking I might as well just get a new tuner as well (the software would come with it).

OWC has refurb 2008 models for a mere $85. If I just bought the software from El Gato it would cost nearly that much by itself. It doesn't seem like the EyeTV hardware has been improved much since the 2008 model so would I be missing out on anything useful if I purchased the 2008 model for $85 instead of the 2010 model for $150? And is the versio 3 software that comes with the 2008 model freely upgradeable (to 3.3 or whatever it is now?

Here's the link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ElGato/10020630R/

Thanks.

-PN

2. Heath macrumors regular

I'm using the last 2.x version of Eye TV in SL on an intel mini, so I would question your source on that factoid.

3. Paulyboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm good to know. I wasn't going to do anything anyways until after I get the new iMac so I can see if it still works. I'm still curious about the 2008 EyeTV model though.

Thanks for letting me know.

-PN