Is EyeTV in full screen..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ubundows, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Ubundows macrumors member

high enough quality to completely replace the family television with my imac?

is it as good as the slingbox?

and is the 250 better or the hybrid?

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

3. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

What about the slingbox? is that high enough quality for the job?

4. Tourist macrumors member

On my 24inch iMac I find the hybrid passable for a TV on Digital HD, but not for Standard def. signals

5. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

What about when a S-VIDEO or composite device such ask a DVR is attached? Is the picture quality any better then for standard def?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I find my 24" iMac with the EyeTV Hybrid to be good. But its no HDTV if that is what you're aiming for. Not to say HD channels don't look good, but the screen just isn't big enough. I would equate it to a big kitchen counter TV, or just a kitchen counter TV if you have the 20".

It's no living room TV, that's for sure.

7. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

Not even from a 3 or 4 foot distance?

Plus, the picture quality when watching from a DVR, playing a games console through it etcetera, is it TV quality when not used as a TV?

I suppose I could hook up a secondary widescreen television for use as a TV.

8. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

Is the imac screen smaller than a 24" tv? and is the apple cinema display more suitable?

9. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Slingbox streams content from coxial or DVR to your mac/pc.

10. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

Yes, which is what I want. But which does it better the slingbox or the eyetv and are either viable as a family TV replacement when used on the iMac 24"?

Thanks

11. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Slingbox

12. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

Okay and can the slingbox record and rewind my satellite television? Even though it's not a DVR?

Also, are the others right in this thread when they say an iMac 24" is too small and low quality to use as a TV when used in full screen?

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its fine from 3-4 feet. Thought thats not exactly what I picture when I think of a family TV.

Overall, if you want to have TV on your Mac then get the EyeTV. Seriously, the whole package of the thing is really really great. I highly recommend it, and as for using the iMac as a TV it works out really well especially the 24" (full screen or not). For console gaming it works out ok, I've used it with my GameCube and the RCA connections are a little flimsy and the audio didn't work out perfectly (would get static occasionally). And there are no HD inputs, so forget about getting the most out of a PS3 or a 360.

"TV quality when not used as a TV?"
    Not sure what you mean. Its a computer monitor, the thing is freakin' gorgeous.

But don't kid yourself with the 3-4 feet thing, if you are more than 10 feet away that monitor gets small fast. I don't know anything about SlingBox.

14. kolax macrumors G3

I own an EyeTV Diversity tuner, and I've hooked my MacBook Pro up to my TV so I can pause live TV and between using the TV tuner and the EyeTV connected to my MBP, I couldn't tell any difference from the sofa.

When viewing full screen on my MacBook Pro (which is my TV for the bedroom) sat back at 4 feet, it looks fantastic. I've had one Champions League game on the big tele, and the other on my MacBook Pro in full screen (ultimate footy setup!) and the quality has been great.

Note that OTA DVB's in the UK are SD.

As for making your iMac your main TV - depends on the size of the room and how far you are from it. I think it would be a pretty cool TV. Some point down the line, you'd want to buy a big one, but I think you'd be pretty happy with the quality EyeTV gives.

Also, with EyeTV, you can remotely schedule recordings.

15. yagru macrumors member

is the full screen HD quality of eyetv hybrid on a 24" imac the same as it would be with any other 24" hd tv?? OR would the eye tv tuner be putting out a lesser picture quality signal

my dillema right now is to either buy eyetv hybrid for my 24 imac or buy a samsung t240hd