Is Faces $80 of Awesome?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tuta, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Tuta macrumors member

Tuta

all -- i am intrigued by the new Faces feature of iPhoto 09, but is it worth $80? I do not really use Garage Band or iMovie that much.

Are there alternatives (full software or add-in maybe) that offer similar feature?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

How do you expect anyone to know until it is released? Ultimately you would have to decide if it is worth the $80 price tag.

3. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

If you have a ton of photos you manage then Faces/Places might be worth the price.

I have a lot of photos and I use Aperture and iPhoto but I am lazy about actually tagging/organizing my pictures for me it is well worth the cost.

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

If you dont think you are going to use it that much

Then dont.

Wait till snow leopard is out and they will bring out the box set like they have for leopard and Ilife

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I haven't seen anything else that does this.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Picasa does it. Not as well as iPhoto looks to, but it does group by faces.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Picasa.app does it? I thought you had to upload your pics to Picasa Online and the online site did it? :confused:

8. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

From what I understand is that yes you need to upload the photo for face recognition to work with Picasa, it does not do it in the app itself like iPhoto.

I haven't played around with Picasa much since I find the UI absolutly horrible. I can say that it is very fast and since it does not copy your photos it just checks folders it may be a nice compliment to iPhoto.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

How do you get to that feature in the app? Say you double-click on a picture of a friend.

I see the 'Basic Fixes', 'Tuning', and 'Effects' tabs to the left, and the actions icons along the bottom, but none of them stand out as having face detecting.

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If you are a student or affiliated with a university you may be able to get this for much less then the $80.

Anyway. It looks like a very cool feature to me but not an $80 feature.

12. Tuta thread starter macrumors member

Tuta

Name Tags in Picasa

I was curious to see if there were other alternatives... the above is Google's demo of the Name Tag feature for picasa.

thanks everyone! I can't wait to see the iPhoto faces in action to compare now.

13. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I'm more interested in the Places functionality, but I am looking forward to seeing how Faces works on my library.