Is Fallout 3 possible on my year old MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by macs.power, Oct 29, 2008.

1. macs.power macrumors newbie

I'm dying to play Fallout 3. I don't even care if it can only run on low settings. I have a Macbook Pro that is just over a year old. 2.2 Ghz, GeForce 8600M GT 128MB, 2 GB RAM. I know these are a little below the minimum requirements, but do you think that I could still run it at all? Thanks!

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

you'll be able to run it (boot camp, i am presuming you mean), but as you indicated...low settings and not at the screen's native resolution...if you don't mind that, though....it should at least load up and let you stumble through it...

the mobile 8600 is going to be your main limiting factor, here...

3. macs.power thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'll be running Vista with Boot Camp. Anyone else have any input? I'd hate to buy the game and not actually be able to play it.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its not that big of a leap over Oblivion, so if you can do that game then you can do Fallout 3.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

128MB in the graphics may be a bit low to run on high settings, but you should be able to play the game still. You may have to set the details setting lower to do so with the lower memory available.

6. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

I hope you can run it. I picked it up for 360 hoping it wouldn't just be Ovlivion with guns. Didn't really care for OB, but Fallout 3 is just OB with guns. But if you liked OB, you will most likely love Fallout 3.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

I guess it depends on what you didn't like about Oblivion. Fallout 3 isn't exactly Oblivion with guns, but you can tell it uses the Oblivion engine. There are some differences in the way your character develops in Fallout than the way Oblivion handles it.

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Personally, even though Oblivion is a very good game, I much prefer the setting and storyline of Fallout 3. Even very early in the game I felt a 'purpose' as opposed to Oblivion's early game sequences. To each their own, though :)

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

That's interesting because a lot of the reviews I've read say that Fallout 3 seems more detached from the story than Oblivion's story. I'm not exactly sure what they mean by that, though. I feel engaged in both of them. I was even getting bugged that I had to kill someone to resolve a quest. I kept trying different dialog paths, but the one non-kill way I didn't have some skills high enough to go that way.

Working on another quest I had this old guy keep shooting at me. I hated that I had to kill him, but he wouldn't stop shooting, so I had to. I apologized to his severed head afterwards...

10. Cantello macrumors member

I have exactly macs.power's specs (save for 4GB of RAM, which Vista doesn't use anyway) and it runs okay on 1440x900 with details on medium and AA and anisotropic filtering turned off.

11. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I have two questions concerning your post, since I have also macs.power's specs with 2GB of ram and a 128 video card.

Does the game look good at those settings? And do you think that there will be a big difference between 2 and 4 gb of ram?

12. Cantello macrumors member

I think neither will affect your performance much. Though it has been said that this chipset can make use of extra system RAM in Windows.

What you can do is to set the size of the textures to small, which will lead to less memory usage.

Sadly, there is no demo of any of the Bethsoft engine games.

Is there some kind of standardised time demo for FO3? So we could compare performances.

13. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I will try to get boot camp running by friday evening with Fallout 3. If you are interested, I can post the results along with some screenshots on how it looks if I am running it on playable settings.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just installed it on the mbp in my signature (I know that doesn't help since we have different specs but its out there incase someone was wondering.)

The game defaulted itsself to high settings and runs just fine with no lag or anything.

15. larryj macrumors member

Which video card does your MacBook have?

16. Bakerman macrumors member

Everyone has a different definition of "playable", but I'm finding Fallout 3 playable on my 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / 4 GB / x2600 / 256 MB, running in native resolution at 1920x1200. A bit jerky at times, but playable.

In Vista with Bootcamp.