Is fan audible to verify it works? (2012)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by davekro, Nov 24, 2015.

1. davekro macrumors regular

davekro

Looking at a used 2012 Mac Mini. The guy broke the IR connector when he added an SSD. I want to know how to easily check to be sure the fan works, that 'that connector was not broken too.

Is the fan always on or only when hot (hence can't know it's not working upon initial start up.
    Does fan come on initially upon plug in or booting to verify it runs?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

The fan in my 2012 mini is always on, never seen it running below 1800rpm which I think is a preset minimum..
    I use iStatmenus ver 4 to monitor the fan speed and system temperatures.

3. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The fan in a 2012 mini is always spinning when the computer is on. The fan has a virtually silent idle speed of 1800 rpm. I use Temperature Gauge by Tunabelly Software to watch my fan and temperature sensors. Tunabelly now offers TG Pro which has an enhanced feature set including fan control and email notifications. :cool:

4. davekro thread starter macrumors regular

davekro

The seller says " it runs cool" so he's probably using one of these apps and I should assume the fan works. But can you hear the fan if you listen really hard for it?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I can not here mine (2014) when it is running on the low speed, but then my hearing isn't wonderful due to my time in the military & age.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I can hear mine, but only if the room is silent and I get my ear right up close to it.

7. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Not really on my 2012. Perhaps that SSD equipped version would be different. On this Fusion Drive mini, the quiet 5400rpm HDD makes way more noise than an idling fan. I suggest that a utility is the best way to check fan idle speed and the automatic fan speed control system on any recent mini. :apple:

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There are plenty of applications you can install to find out what speed your fan is running at.

9. davekro thread starter macrumors regular

davekro

I just got home with my new to me 2012 Mac Mini. I popped the bottom off to peek inside. I plugged it in, pressed power, start up sound plus fan spun up to speed. :eek:) Fan has some visible dust on the blades so I hit it with compressed air. :eek:)