Is Fan Controller Needed for MacBook Aluminum

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, May 25, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I have smcFanControl, but not sure if I should keep it. Can't the MacBook regulate its fan speed without a program? Thanks.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. Tsubame macrumors newbie

No mac should really ever NEED a fan controller. It may make you more comfortable, but I personally trust Apple's engineers more than I'd trust any override I'd put into place.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My fans work great. I can't imagine what I'd like to change about them. I like them as they are. :)

5. 22Hertz macrumors regular

2 things kill electronics:
    1) Voltage transients (spikes)(like lightning)
    2) Heat

I run my fans full speed unless my charger is not plugged in and Im doing something really light/non intensive.

I have one of the older MBPs with the faulty video cards and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact I have not had one single problem since Ive had the laptop (coming up on 2 years). Maybe its a coincidence but I doubt it. I also keep an eye on my temps and allow them to cool if they go higher than ~60

-You want your temperatures as low as possible.
    -Apple would like to sell you another computer sooner rather than later.
    -Apple allows their temperature threshold on their laptops to be higher so the computer will run quiet...nice but it will harm it over time.

6. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

As he said... I haven't really experimented with SMC on my new MacBook... but I use it on my Pro... I have them running at 2500RPM when working and up to 3500RPM when it's under heavy load... That should work for you.. and it's not really that loud with the new fans that are inside them!!