Is Final Cut Express 4.0 worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cmac101, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cmac101 macrumors newbie

I am a student who does movie editing and makes videos for my school, so is FCE 4.0 worth the upgrade from 3.5? Thanks

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Unless you work with HD or mess around with audio a lot, I don't see any significant reason to upgrade. FCE 4 seems to make HD and in-app audio work easier, but other than that it seems there are just a few dozen more filters as far as features go. I'm a student as well and since I don't do all that much video work, I'll be sticking with 3.5.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Very true. FCE for me always had so much power and versatility, and although the upgrade is nice, 3.5 is still tasty as ever.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Does it offer the same HD compression available in FCS2? That seems like a big gain for those of us using HDV.

5. harddriveowner macrumors member

upgrade to Final Cut Pro. You won't regret it in the long run.

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

From what if sounds like it is not all that great. A few new features with filters but 99% of the time those are useless. It depends in the work you do but for me it is a definate no. Besides I love soundtrack!! I don't know what I would do without that app!!

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

After installing the 4.0 upgrade you still have Soundtrack (assuming you had 3.5 installed already)