Is Final Cut Studio really that good?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WizardHunt, Mar 15, 2010.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I used Final Cut Express 4.0 and wonder really if Final Cut Studio for $999 is really worth the upgrade? What is your opinion? I do lots of editing for video and find that most things are slow for me, I do need a quad core iMac or even a Mac Pro and that would help I am sure. But is upgrading from Final Cut Express 4 to Final Cut Studio really worth the price? I would love feedback on this from everyone.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why dont you give it a trial? there is nobody/nothing stopping you!

;)

but yea, i have used FC 3, and i have the newest FCP suite. the processes are basically the same, however there seem to be a lot more effects and whatnot added onto it. if you just edit plain old video and dont add effects, i wouldnt worry.

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Trial? I can not find a free trial. That would be a expensive trial. Is it faster than FCE 4? Does it render anything faster or does that depend solely upon the processor only of the Mac?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i didnt say that it had to be a legal trial. but its always possible if you catch my drift. if it meets your standards, then buy it! if not, nothing lost.

the latest final cut (7) is slower then the older version. nobody knows why! but we are all angry about it.

it relies both on CPU count/frequency and the version, i expect the latest FCP to be faster then FCE4 though. (multithreaded, memory usage more optimised etc)

5. GeraldButton macrumors member

Thats right, promote and encourage piracy on a public forum! Nothing at all wrong with that.

Anyway, to the original poster, it really depends on your needs for an editing suite. If you need only basic tools to get the job done, stick with Final Cut Express, if you need something more advance then look into information on Final Cut Studio. $999 for Final Cut Pro and then several other good applications is not bad, especially for video editing, but really look at everything and say to yourself do you really need it all?

Final Cut Studio is O.K in my books, a few of my friends use it for there projects and I have used there copy a few times, but im happy with Adobes Production Premium and I stick by it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We catch your drift, you're advocating that OP steal the application. :mad:

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i never suggested what way that he goes about it. maybe there is a trial? i dont know. maybe he has a friend that has the latest version? i dont know that either. im simply suggesting that if possible, and if he wants to, that he would go down whatever route he thinks to "give the app a go"

when did i say that? as i just explained above, i said maybe he has a friend that has a copy? or the local library might have a copy on their computers? or even a university!

in my eyes, there is nothing wrong with doing that, if he likes it the OP can then go and purchase the real version. no hurt done (unless he gets caught of course ;)) otherwise if he does buy it without trying it, and he doesnt like it - then all he can do is sit in disgust at the crappy software (not saying that it is crap).

anyway, its not for us to decide what the OP does. end.

8. GeraldButton macrumors member

No, but you implied it, and don't deny that especially with this statement :
    Yeah, not suggesting piracy at all.
    See above..
    Nothing wrong with theft? So if I wanted a cupcake, but only wanted to TRY one, and you made cupcakes, it'd be alright if I just came in and took one from you, that'd be O.K as well? As long as I intend to buy one legit by and by?

And there is no trial for Final Cut Studio or Express. Apple, to my knowledge offer trials only for iWork, and Aperture.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

There is a bit of a difference between a cup cake and Final Cut!

10. GeraldButton macrumors member

You are indeed correct yes, but theft is theft. And it was the quickest example I could think of, that and im eating a cupcake.

11. Seo macrumors regular

One big difference between FCP and FCE is the support for 24p and the integration of Motion, Color, Soundtrack Pro, and other such programs. Well worth the 1000 bucks IMO. It was cheap before, and now it's just an awesome deal.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohh ok, just putting it out there that there might be.

yes, one is a physical object and one is a software object (i.e. not real). the fact is that if somebody took my cupcake, id be quite upset if i expected 10 and there were only 9 left. its different with software as its not a real object. one copy on the internet can give an infinite amount of users access. i know my cupcakes are good, but not that good ;) :rolleyes:

13. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Ok Guys, I got it that there is no trial available for FCP so I have to decide whether it is worth it for me to buy it or not. I have the money that is not the problem but I do wish to make it a good investment. I like more effects so that is a plus for the FCP. FCE is limited.

So lets get back to my question and this thread back on track. Is compressor that is included with FCP any faster? I run a iMac 3.06 Ghz Duo Core and I am worried that It may not be powerful enough for FCP. I do have 8 GB ram and the ATI 4850 Video but I would be more comfortable if I had at least a 4 core iMac or Mac Pro.

What do you think?

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i do think that your imac would be fast enough. compressor compared to your current version would be much much faster, but compressor (and FCP overall) compared to the previous version is slower for some odd reason .

15. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Why do you think that is? Did they blog it down with so much stuff or what?
    I would like to think that future versions would be a step forward which would include to be faster hopefully.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

having had a few in-depth discussions on MR with some people, they seem to think that apple rushed out this release (reason unknown). that seems to be a logical explanation.

i also proposed the reason that some sort of new technology/aspect of the underlying program was added that might take a while to optimise fully. some people seemed to think that that could be a case.

17. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I see that you have a i7 iMac so I am willing to bet that yours runs great on your iMac.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you would assume correctly :D however i havent edited any HD movies on it, only have a DV camera :(

19. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I may wait for the next release and then buy it and give it a try then. Maybe in the newer or next version they will have everything worked out so it actually is faster than previous versions. Thanks for the input.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

next release as in FCP4? or an update to FCP7.1? i would recommend the latter, performance will have a nice increase from that. if you wait for FCP4, you will be waiting a few years ;)

sorry about de-railing your thread before. didnt mean to :(

21. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I would probably wait for FCP 7.1, as I like to have the latest and greatest when it comes to software. Don't worry about the thread derailing. I always live within my means.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there have been 2 FCP updates IIRC. speed hasnt been the priority though, its more on stability. its pretty darn stable now!! but yea speed is still lacking.