Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I have to use Firefox on my Mac to be able to place orders with my home office. Is Firefox available for the iPad? Safari wont work with their system.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Thanks Macdawg, do you know if Firefox will be available in the future?

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
I have it on my iPhone - why not the iPad?

There is a very good Firefox app (free) for the iPhone which syncs beautifully with my home computer. I can't imagine why there wouldn't be one forthcoming for the iPad.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
There are many 3rd party browsers in the App Store; which restrictions are you referring to?

All of those browsers use the built-in Webkit engine to render pages. Mozilla couldn't release a Firefox app that used Firefox's rendering engine because that would technically be considered executing code from outside sources, which is forbidden.

The Opera browser renders the pages (and thus executes the code) on Opera's servers and then sends the compressed data to your phone. That's why it was allowed into the app store.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Which browser would be most likely to work since Safari won't work for me to place my online orders? Which is most like a web standard whatever that may be?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Your store might require a full browser, and has issues with what it sees as mobile browsers. In that case no iPad browser will work. What you can try is jailbreaking and installing "User Agent Faker" which allows your mobile browser to pretend to be any number of full browsers.

Another option would be to VNC connect to a regular computer from your iPad and place the orders that way.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
What you can try is jailbreaking and installing "User Agent Faker" which allows your mobile browser to pretend to be any number of full browsers.

Both BOLT and Atomic web browser provide user agent faking without a jailbreak.

OP: there is an app called firefox home that syncs open tabs and bookmarks with your desktop but no full browser.

Seriously look into Atomic browser, very powerful.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Just downloaded it and wow. Bye bye safari (pity I don't seem to be able to make it the default browser though!)

Love the thing. Try three finger tap for full screen. Import bookmarks from your desktop browser really sold it for me. Even has a decent add block. Tabs that behave like real tabs. Tap and hold a link for the menu to come up and use the option load in background, I use that all the time. Like I said, love this browser.

Big downside is the IOS limited memory, turn on the low memory warning. Depending on the web pages you can load between six or ten tabs. It warns you several times if you have the warning enabled but if you continue to open more tabs it WILL crash.

Have to jailbreak to make anything other the safari default.

Wow, I will have to search for that, I didn't know you could. Do you maybe have a link showing how to do this handy?

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
I'm too scared to jailbreak so I haven't researched it. Was just told that jail breaking is only to set atomic as default.

Think the jailbreak program is called Cydia or something like that.

JohnDG

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Big downside is the IOS limited memory, turn on the low memory warning. Depending on the web pages you can load between six or ten tabs. It warns you several times if you have the warning enabled but if you continue to open more tabs it WILL crash.

The crashes seem to be with the latest release. I used to be able to open over 10 tabs simultaneously on a consistent basis, now it crashes at around 5-6. I imagine this will be addressed.

jdg

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
The crashes seem to be with the latest release. I used to be able to open over 10 tabs simultaneously on a consistent basis, now it crashes at around 5-6. I imagine this will be addressed.

jdg

I stopped using Atomic for exactly this reason. I now use iCab and frequently have at 8 tabs open without issue.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
+1 for iCab.

You can still crash it if you work at it, opening tab after tab in rapid succession. But it seems more resilient than the other browsers I've tried (and I've tried most of them). It also has a really good feature set, including Dropbox integration and the ability to download files directly from the web.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Meh, six tabs is plenty for me and the thing gives you like four or five warnings you have to ignore to crash it. Would be nice if they can bring back the ten tabs plus ability.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Yep, iCab here also. I've got pretty much every one of the iPad browsers and iCab beat them all. It was pretty close between iCab and Mercury but iCab used less as far as resources than Mercury did. Great browser and the ability to download files is something I won't give up.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Well I called my Tech support at my company about using the iPad to place orders and was told that our website is written in Java and Flash. Sooooo since "Steve" does not like Flash on the iPad, I wont be able to use the iPad for my work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.