Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firefox vs. Safari

• Firefox

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Safari

Votes: 51 52.0%

• Total voters

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
It's been at most an hour since the last Firefox vs. Safari thread, so we were overdue for a new one. Thanks!:rolleyes:

Don

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Haha. +1

But seriuosly. It's up to you. In my experience, firefox is a little more of a CPU hog, which on my current computer is a big deal. If you like add ons and plugins, it might be for you.

There are countless threads about this on here though, do some research all you'll find the browser for you.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
I really only prefer firefox because it is more customizable. I usually use the apple software, so if safari became more customizable I would be all for it.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
I use both equally.

Each has it's advantages. I prefer Firefox for general use and it's addons, but Safari is very snappy (for me anyway) and with GlimmerBlocker and Click2Flash it offers the same great ad-free and Flash-free experience FF does with AdBlockPlus and FlashBlocker.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I have been happy with Safari, but occasionally even HC Apple fans comment things like "I never realised that anybody used Safari. Safari sucks." and the like.

I just like how Safari looks and makes websites look. FF might me faster, that is true but it's not as polished. And frankly, if you are not into eye candies, you might not be so excited about OS X in general either.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Neither is better at everything. They both have their own strengths. Check MRoogle for other threads that describe these strengths.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Is Firefox better than Safari? What are your thoughts?

Is Coke better than Pepsi? Is McDonald's better than Burger King? Is Windows better than OS X? Or is it basically just all the same in a slightly different packaging and a slightly different taste?

I prefer Coke, McDonald's, OS X and Firefox. But I make my income in a Windows and Linux world. It doesn't hurt me to drink Pepsi and eat some fast food from Burger King.

But I haven't been using Safari anymore since they've released version 4. I think they ruined the browser in more ways than I want to describe here and it rendered so many websites wrong that I've lost count. Safari 4 was the reason why I switched to Firefox, and I'm quite happy with Firefox -- on any platform.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I like safari myself

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I can tell you what I prefer, but not what is better.

Prior to swapping in a faster HD and more ram, I preferred using Safari because it booted up faster, handled a lot of tabs at once better (for me), and was less of a resource hog (for me). If I left Safari on for extended periods of time however (especially if one of those tabs had video on it...), it would bog down my entire system. The one thing that I really like that Safari has over Firefox (natively, and at least to my knowledge) is top sites. I've taken a great liking to top sites, and now only using bookmarks for archiving references.

That being said, I always kept Firefox around because it handled certain sites better (particularly banking, for me) and every now and then, I would get sick of being bombarded with these intrusive ads (which are the #1 cause of app crashes on my mac by far). I'm aware of glimmerblocker and all that jazz, and even it installed, but it doesn't block a lot of stuff (for me) without making adjustments, which are easier (for me) to do in Firefox with Adblocker.

This changed with my faster HD and more ram though, now the performance differences between the two browsers are virtually negligible to me, but I still primarily use Safari because of top sites alone. If Firefox ever included a native top site-esqe feature in their app, I would probably switch to it full-time.

Arminator

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
While Firefox offers a lot of addons, safari has slightly better performance.

Although i use none of them. I recommend Opera or Chrome. They use a lot less power, while rendering websites faster.

Personally i mainly use chrome with mailaddon. On other computers (university etc.) i use opera, since they offer sync of bookmarks.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
On every Mac I've had, Safari loads considerably faster and seems to have better performance overall, while Firefox tends to render things more PC-comparable (not a big issue like it used to be, though my Chase credit card login still refuses to work with Safari).

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I use both, but I like Safari better.
If i leave FF on for several days it will eat up almost all my memory and slow down my system.

I run Safari in 32 bit mode tho, It uses a lot less battery in 32 bit mode for some reason.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Depends on what you want out from a browser, all I want is speed. And Safari is faster then Firfox so for me Safari is better.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I use both, but I like Safari better.
If i leave FF on for several days it will eat up almost all my memory and slow down my system.

I run Safari in 32 bit mode tho, It uses a lot less battery in 32 bit mode for some reason.

Not that I'm being pro-FF or anything, but Safari does the same exact thing to me, at least prior to my ram upgrade.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Safari has become very buggy on my machine but even before then its resource hogging makes multitasking a bit annoying

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It's entirely your own opinion. I use Safari on OS X and Firefox on Windows. Both work fine and do what I want. Which is simply browsing the web. :eek:

sh0vel

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2010
PP (personal preference), I use Safari with Chrome as my backup. Never used FF after Chrome came out. Compared to Safari and Chrome, I never really liked it. Use what you like, there are quite a few choices.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Both have their good and bad sides.

Firefox:
+ Addons for customizing it to exactly your liking
+ Good name completion and bookmarks/history search from the address bar
- Long cold startup time
- Font rendering not as good as Safari (slightly blurrier text)

Safari:
+ Fast startup
+ Font rendering
+ Searching for words on a webpage
+ Top sites (slight minus for editing - adding things to it manually is a bit of a pain and very unintuitive)
- Popup window handling (no option for opening new windows for just the links that you clicked on and rest shown in tabs)
- Lack of proper addon support
- Address bar name completion sucks
- Doesn't retain tab history on program restart

I wouldn't use either browser in their default setting. I need to shoehorn a lot of addons on both to get them to work like I want. Then they're pretty close to each other, with Safari offering slightly better performance but on the other hand it does some things worse than Firefox so I tend to use FF more. I hope Safari 5 will bring tons of new features to make it better.

Chrome on the Mac is still too buggy and lacks a lot of the features you find on the Windows version. No smooth scrolling either. Plus it looks ugly on the Mac (then again so does Firefox's default theme).

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Safari:
- Address bar name completion sucks

See, I would rate this the exact opposite - Firefox drives me CRAZY how that the address doesn't auto-complete IN the address box. I have to go down to select the one I want, whereas Safari auto completes it and as soon as I get what I want, I just hit return and go. Just my opinion...

darkperfection11

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
well personally Ive been using firefox for about 2 weeks now and all i get now is not responding with firefox so im going to try safari in hopes that its good..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.