Is Firewire Dock Connector compatible with iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Taccano, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Taccano macrumors newbie

hello,
    I have an 3rd Gen iPod. Back then apple was generous by including wall charger as standard in the packages. Today I have bought an iPod touch. And to my surprise I can only charge it with usb and if my Mpb on or in sleep mode is. I think it is awkard to let my Mpb on to charge my iPod. And I don't want to spend extra 25 Euros to an usb wall adapter. (Apple forces me to buy accessories :mad:)

Is it possible to use my 3rd Gen Ipods dock connector (with firewire) as wall charger? (I dont need to sync it. It would be very useful tough.)

Here in this site I found this information about apple universal dock: (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB125) It says that it is compatible both for iPod 3rd Gen. and iPod thouch 2G. Therefore I assume that my old connector might work. But I dont want to run a risk to blow my 1 day old iPod touch. :)

I hope somebody has an experience about it.
    Thanks in advance!

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

nope it wont charge or sync though firewire, wheter wall or computer. but if you just close ur comp, it will still charge and thats not 2 bad.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, you can't use your old FireWire charger.

The latest iPods and iPhone only charge over USB. It doesn't matter if you plug your old charger into a Universal Dock, it still won't charge your iPod Touch.

4. Taccano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for immediate answers. I have searched the forum. And one guy could charge his iPod touch 1G with his firewire wall connector. It seems it doesn't work with the 2G.

If I try it to see if my connector maybe can charge it, does it harmful for the device?

And in apple's site over charging they say that if the computer is in sleep mode it would not charge the iPod. In the forum there are contradicting posts though. What is the truth?:confused:

Last question: Is there a calibration technic for iPod thouch? In the apple site there is only information about calibrating the notebooks.

5. kblessinggr macrumors member

Some of the USB chargers won't work either.

The reason being is the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano (4th gen), are like little unix servers. When plugged into a computer with iTunes 8 or a special charger, the charge sends a signal to the device that tells it to start charging. Without this signal sent to the touch, it won't charge.

6. kblessinggr macrumors member

No there's no calibration capable for the touches. Though would be kinda cool if I could slap on my spyder2 pro and calibrate it.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You can charge via FW only 1G Touch (works on mine).

Just let your MBP sleep. Shutting down/starting up is a huge waste of time anyway.

8. Taccano thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to calibrate the battery? In the apple site there is only information about the calibration of notebook batteries, not iPods.

9. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I would assume its basically the same process to calibrate the iPod as it is for a computer but not sure if it's really needed with the technology the batteries have today.

*So if the 2nd gen doesn't charge like the older models will an iHome or something similar charge the ipod or not?

*I have a direct connection to my cars radio that allows audio to go through the speakers and charges the ipod at the same time, will this no longer work?

sorry for the slight thread jack

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

SOME will and some wont. the old firewire method was cheaper on them i think, but now that its incompatible a lot of accessories wont charge it