is Firewire finished?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by costabunny, Aug 23, 2008.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

With the upcomming USB3 protocol (3.2Mb/s) and the 1.1 of Wireless USB is firewire finished.

I havent seen any news of firewire updates recently and am curious to find out (from those more up to date with FW) if it is going to counter the technology or go the way of VESA Local Bus?

curious?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im gonna say no, Firewire is a industry standard with studios. Consumers might not care but I don't think they are the target audience.

3. cube macrumors G5

You haven't looked hard enough. There should be FireWire S3200 products coming out in some months. That's like a year before USB 3.0

4. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

The poster above me is correct in fact both are, however since Firewire is dominate in video it won't be gone anytime soon :)

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

There are even previous discussions about USB3 and the future of FireWire right here on MacRumors ;)

USB and FireWire cater for different markets. Both have a place, and likely will coexist for a long time to come.

6. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Bandwidth has never been an issue with me. USB is a bit faster on paper, but it's a dumb technology. It relies on the CPU. FireWire does nt, and it's a lot smarter in the way it works.

Yes, USB3 is mighty fast. But the latest FireWire is almost as fast. And USB3 is a dumb system, just like it's predecessors were.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I love firewire, and I'm always a little disappointed each time my parents bring home another external hard drive that is USB 2.0 as it's no good for video editing. But I've never understood how firewire isn't reliant on the CPU. How does it transfer directly from one hard disk to another without being 'processed' by the processor?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HA

no way is firewire!!! not why ill keep using it anyway. firewire is so much incredibly better than USB..

i have a dasiy chain of firewire 400 and always get a good 30mbps copying multiple files, i do one copy with my USB LaCie and get 10mbps.. its pathetic compared to FW and soo much more inconsistent.

cant wait for FW3200 and i hope its only a firmware upgrade so i can use it with my imac :)

firewire doesnt utilise the CPU as it has its own dedicated hardware to do the processing for it.. from what i understand anyway.

im guessing that because firewire is faster because it sends data down the link using different error checking methods...

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ahh of course I forgot about that firewire chipset that you need to use firewire.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think firewire 3200 will be a firmware upgrade as it requires a new chipset, just like 800 did.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

1. yup i guess its kinda good that it needs it, great performance!!

2. hhmm.. FW3200 will use the same 9 pin connection as FW800, but i guess it needs the new chipset which is disappointing. that isnt going to be cheap!

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well it will be backward compatible, but it'll most likely need a new chipset. I'm going to hold off a year or two before I go out of my way to get a machine with it built in. Unless of course the Macbook Pros next summer have it.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm well thats not good haha.

im not sure it would make that much of a difference for hard drives anyway, the imac gets about 70-80mbytesps copying, which is pretty much 800mbitsps, which is FW800. i would need some 10000rpm or higher hard drives to notice any difference!

wouldnt even be worth it with a laptop im guessing.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's true. I guess I just had that feeling where I need the latest and greatest, but obviously that sort of connection wouldn't be very useful unless I had a Mac Pro with fast drives in it, or once SSD technology improves and they get a lot faster.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha im like you, must have the best there is, although im a poor uni student haha!

a macpro would be really nice to go with FW3200 for my video editing.

a man can dream i guess, cant wait until FW3200 is standard and USB is no longer :p